REMINISCENCE OF CHINESE NEW YEAR


Unlike last year – where reunion parties were lavishly being held, this year – I didn’t join any of them. Chubby is on diet – so we didn’t have dinner. Over the weekend, I was at YCF’s house, just watching tv, yakked a bit, gossiped a bit, and also to exchange CNY gifts. This year, YCF gave us nga ku (some fried sliced vegetables, I think) and as for myself, I gave them a walnut cake, papaya, mandarin oranges and cashew nuts (Considering Chubby is on a diet). Chubby is giving us some fried stuffs too, trying to make us fat. I know she wanted so bad to win the bet! Anyway, I paid Chubby RM50 for her success of shedding 8 kgs to date! I have lost only 2 kgs over the past one week when I finally decided to go on a diet.

I went for last minute shopping at Jusco for the house with sister. Jusco was packed to the brim on weekends. Everyone’s cart surely has alcohol in it by the cartons. It was a joy to see everyone’s face lit up with beaming smiles. Everyone was indeed in new year’s mood.

Hair salons were also packed to the brim. Almost every lady customer with long hair, emerged from the salon with curly hair and copper shaded highlight. I heard Japanese perm is the in thing this year and so does the color copper. My short hair is also highlighted in copper.

Ever year, my brother would be the one sponsoring dried minced pork. Our all time favorite is always Brother Kiew’s. Sometimes, I also like Bee Cheng Hiang. Dried minced pork from other brands – well, I think is not as good as Brother Kiew’s. My sis told me – even her Thai colleagues would sometimes ask the visiting managers from Malaysia to bring them some dried minced pork – the one with the picture of a boxing rooster.

We still missed both our late grandmothers, even if they had passed on for 3 to 5 years now. No more fussing over the two old ladies, buying them some new clothes, telling them not to do too much housework, and watching tv together with them, sharing a joke over cups upon cups of kopi-O, the smell of my paternal grandmother’s rokok daun, which I sometimes helped to fold when I was a little girl, the small casing made of shells which hold my maternal grandmother’s bedak sejuk, which she religiously applied after she took her bath, getting ang pows from the two elderly in the family, the first thing in the morning.

When I was a child, I always liked to stay on in my grandma’s place in Taiping till the 9th day of Chinese New Year, where the Hokkiens would celebrate it auspiciously to commemorate the deed of the Jade Emperor. This is where the authentic and conservative Chinese customs are still being adhered to; long lines of red fire crackers that turn everyone deaf by midnight, lush stalks of sugar cane decorated every altar, pineapples decorated with red joss papers to signify wealth, a whole roast pork on a red elongated tray, children playing with bunga api and displaying their hidden talents by drawing graffiti on the concrete floor.

I would take every year as it comes and hope that my childhood memory of the New Lunar Year, would forever remain vivid in my mind. I am just afraid that, one day, we would not be able to witness these minute details anymore as time progresses, it erodes the simplicity of living. People spending more time at work, pursuing their dreams, sometimes, failing to take time off to observe what this festivity means to them.

Comments

Backup comments said…
I can’t help but to agree the sentiment about modern generation who might eventually forget what the festive means.

I think, I am guilty as charged at the same time.

Most ppl in city are moving from landed house to highrise, the future generation can forget about the 10 ft long firecrackers and what are they for in the first place.
laymank | 01.23.06 – 11:48 pm | #

That was nice – i miss watching the lion dances at every house during cny – now id have to go to a mall to see one i havent seen one for 2 years now

Gong Xi Fa Chai Gina
visithra | Homepage | 01.24.06 – 9:49 am | #

Eh, i saw lion dance the other day.. in PJ..the Curve actually. They were dancing for ‘Cold Storage’ but it’s kinda weird to do it in a shopping mall.. :s
huiying | 01.24.06 – 1:22 pm | #

gong xi fa chai, gina!
eternity | Homepage | 01.24.06 – 5:55 pm | #

I know that Mont Kiara have lion dance and 24 drums performance every year. But since I left Clark Hatch… am no longer sure when they have that any more….
laymank | 01.24.06 – 10:18 pm | #

yup, my 2 younger brothers will be at work this cny… sigh

i specifically requested for early transfer back here so i can celebrate cny :P
ryuu | 01.25.06 – 9:19 am | #

i guess the CNY mood is not really there anymore. now that the government has banned any usage of fire crackers, the tradition will be lost and forgotten soon.

the most i can do now is to make my own fire crackers using angpow packets (which is currently hanging in my office) :P
Jane | 01.25.06 – 9:33 am | #

Laymank: It would be one day that even your grandchildren don’t even know what the heck is a fire cracker. Will try to snap more photos this year in the kampong.

visithra: I just saw one in Mid Valley yesterday!! Right when I was trying out new blouses, I think they came over and danced along the changing room aisle. I was shocked. Then, I went outside to watch them.

huiying: I think they are going for easy money doing it in the mall so they don’t have to do the difficult tricks!

eternity: Gong Xi Fa Cai to you too.

ryuu: Aiyah.. wads got into you people lah? Work on CNY? This is ridiculous.

Jane: Just because some people burnt their fingers, they have to penalize the entire nation. Stupid don’t you think? I wonder why they never ban it since Merdeka. Might as well.
Gina | Homepage | 01.25.06 – 8:28 pm | #

dude…hv a happy healthy and joyful chinese new year and thereafter!! take care on the diet ok? it pays!
takeshi | 01.25.06 – 9:36 pm | #

Happy Chinese New Year!

Speaking of ‘nga ku’, I had something similar the other day, except that it cost me £1 for one 40g packet of hand-fried parsnip chips. Wonder if it’s the same thing.
Kat | Homepage | 01.26.06 – 2:29 am | #

Gina: Gong Xi Fa Cai to you. I was born part Chinese but never really experienced much of the CNY atmosphere like the ones you described about your grandparents. I have to admit, CNY is all about traditions and embracing one’s culture but these days, the over commercialization of CNY has somewhat drowned all that. Nevertheless, I hope you have a great CNY and may your year be filled with prosperity and may you achieve your goal in weight management. Hehehe….
Poison | Homepage | 01.26.06 – 2:14 pm | #

Takeshi: Thanks! Happy new year to you too.

Kat: Probably it is the same thing. I also dunno lah. Here also same lah. Quite expensive. RM15 per can!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Poison: Happy New Year to you too!!
Gina | Homepage | 01.26.06 – 11:42 pm | #

Popular Posts