SEVEN WONDERS OF SELAYANG

I had been chided by my many friends who think I am being ridiculous for not knowing the good stuffs to eat in Selayang after staying here for 16 years.

Firstly, half of the time, I am not at home. As I am working in KL, I always come home late and usually had my dinner in KL and, never get to sample the food in Selayang. Secondly, my mother cooks all my meals when I am home (usually weekends) so I hardly go out to eat unless my mother decided to have the day off. Thirdly, when my mother decides to have the day off, my family members would usually ta pao for me as I always wake up only at noon, so I am not sure where on earth they get the good stuffs from…

Not wanting to be labeled as ignorant in my own dwelling place, I decided to go on a glutton crusade in Selayang (not all at once though!). I am glad to say that, Selayang is capable to offer numerous choices of food that delights one’s gastronomy.

1. Vegetarian at Restaurant Hoy Yuen (Breakfast only. Close on Thursdays)

This restaurant is situated at the second junction after Shell Station, next to Kodak.

I accidentally stumbled upon this stall one morning when I was back from FRIM for my once in a blue moon jungle trekking. I was thinking of what to get for my mother and aunt as they were going vegetarian for the day and was happy to have found this place.

They offer Mee Jawa, Kon Lo Mee, Wan Tan Mee, Curry mee and most of all – don’t forget to try the delicious home made fried wan tan. Godamnit. Heaven costs at only 50 sen per piece.

I took Ed here before one morning for breakfast and he loved it.

2. Lala Chien (Brunch to Lunch only)

The shop is situated at the new market place (Medan Selera Selayang) right after the furniture shop.

To look for this shop, check out the rojak push cart next to it. But remember, if you wanna eat the happening lala chien and fried rice that come in banana leaf, please don’t sit at the rojak place. It is quite ridiculous that they are rivals albeit selling different things. The rojak is not bad – but the assam laksa is a big no no!

Remember to be early to avoid disappointment. This shop operates from 11.30 am onwards and by 2 pm, the goodies would be finished.

3. Bing Bing Bak Kut Teh (Dinner Only)

Operating from a corner house, right at the junction opposite a furniture shop and Kwan Tung Seng.

Stumbled upon this shop – also after jungle trekking at FRIM. Now you know why my exercise never work?? Been here with the fei chai gang before their trip to KK sometime in March last year. This is a good place for BKT in Selayang but not as authentic as the mother of all BKT in Telok Pulai, of course.

* No pics lah.. all BKT look alike what.

4. Loh Mee at the main road of Taman Intan Baiduri (Breakfast and lunch only)

My dad used to frequent this small stall tucked away at the roadside. This shop serves the best loh mee in Selayang – they also serve kon lou mee. Both are equally good. The eggs are being marinated in the loh mee soup to harden it. Each bowl of noodles is served with one whole egg, and generous amount of fu chok, minced chicken and sliced cabbage. It comes with thick gravy of egg and black soya sauce.Ask for extra sambal for the extra oopmhh!

This dish is highly laden with eggs (read: high cholesterol), my dad had stopped eating regularly since he suffered from stroke a few years ago.

5. Roti Canai (24 hours)

Restoran BBS, the same row of shops where Maybank is situated on the other end.

The roti canai comes with deliciously thick dhal and unforgettable generous serving of sambal. This shop serves the authentic Indian cuisine – of course, nothing beats Gem Restaurant when it comes to Indian cuisine but this is close enough.

After I had the roti canai here, I never want to have my roti canai anywhere else!

6. Claypot Pan Mein (7 am to 9.30 pm)

At the sidewalk next to a mamak shop, before Wendy Cake House.

As usual, I didn’t even know about its existence till Ms Gan told me she always had her share of pan mein whenever she came here to give tuition. She recommended the claypot pan mein – curry flavored.

If you ask for pan mein, they will come in normal bowl or normal plate (if ordered kon lou). So you have to specify “CLAYPOT”.

The people here are quite moronic so you might have to bear with the slowness – even if there are not many customers around. (Pan mein sellers are morons? Look at the Chilli Pan Mein in Kin Kin) I think these people should hire some marketing staff – the food is good, just that lack of exposure to public.

7. My mom’s fantastic cooking!

A friend once commented, Hokkien people don’t really know how to stimulate the palate. I beg to differ. Look at the size of her daughter (me!). This friend is welcome to come to my humble home and sample my mother’s cooking! Come only on weekends and by appointment only. And if you are lucky, if my aunt decides to cook on rare weekends, you would get to sample signature dishes of famous chefs, from all over the world. (My aunt is an avid follower of cooking shows).

Comments

Backup comments said…
wow. i swear by this blog. sud print out page by page and compile for my makan2 mate. hey, u promote so much for these guys, lucky them..so nice of ya.

emm, i guess hokkien food is not bad actually. yr aunt likes variety huh???? just like the different tiles at your home?? right?? hahahahaah.
takeshimaya law gere | 01.10.06 – 2:55 am | #

hey, fyi the link from pps doesn’t work leh.. u might want to ping it again..
ryuu | 01.10.06 – 6:48 am | #

Takeshi: Variety is the spice of life!

Ryuu: Thanks.. I noticed actually.. but malas lah.. anyway, I re-ping today. Thanks again! Come back lah! I take you go makan makan in Selayang.
Gina | Homepage | 01.10.06 – 2:00 pm | #

haha..bing bing bah kut teh..sounds hilarious.

the spots should pay you commision for advertising for them. or at least let you eat free.
yuin | Homepage | 01.10.06 – 5:34 pm | #

You make me salivate already and it’s barely 10am. I love the look of the roti canai and lala chien. Makes me wanna head out to Selayang and order these stuff. *drool*
Poison | Homepage | 01.11.06 – 10:01 am | #

u are simply very helpful. now i know where to go on my lazy sundays.

thank you, thank you,…

p/s CNY ada open house ka?
VJ | 01.11.06 – 12:10 pm | #
Backup comments said…
Wow Gina, I got really hungry for Malaysian food when I read your blog. Never knew Selayang has so many foody stuff. Well done.
Ki | Homepage | 01.11.06 – 9:28 pm | #

Gravatar the claypot pan mein is the 1st i’ve ever heard of its kind! if i’m there (if can find my way around to get there!), i’ll try it. love pan mein. hey girl, go out and eat more often and blog it!
eternity | Homepage | 01.11.06 – 9:58 pm | #

Gravatar do u know how many times i swallowed my saliva while reading this? a minimum of 30 rpm! even now while typing the comment, i’m swallowing the saliva, in fear of overflowing from the mouth. Selayang, here i come!
kampungkai | Homepage | 01.12.06 – 9:04 am | #

HOkkien dunno how to stimulate the palate ? Ask him to come and see me. See i can stimulate his palate with my cooking or not ? All mums are great cook. That i totally agree
foodcrazee | 01.12.06 – 7:36 pm | #

Yuin: The BKT makes you go bing bing! and you want more!

Poison: Make sure you come at the right time lah.

VJ: Probably not at home lah. Going back to Taiping. Come to Taiping lah.

Ki: Leave no stalls unvisited! That is my motto!

eternity: Yes. I was surprised myself!

Ah Kai: If you come here, let me know ok? I can be your good host. Heh!

foodcrazee: Talk to Takeshi lah. He is the one making the remark.
Gina | Homepage | 01.12.06 – 10:45 pm | #

Must make a trip to your place soon. Hehehehehhehehe. I simply love ‘pan mien’. I’ve never tried ‘pan mien’ in claypot. It looks delicious even though I’ve yet to taste it.
WY | 01.14.06 – 5:19 pm | #

Popular Posts