PERHENTIAN TRIP: POST MORTEM II - THE FIRST NIGHT

7.35 a.m.

Reached office too early this morning. Was supposed to go to the gym but I couldn’t locate my membership card. I thought I have left it in the drawer together with my heaps of lipsticks that I never bother to use. I spent about half an hour early this morning looking for it. Running up and down the staircase frantically searching at the 3 plastic drawers where I keep all my stuffs. So, I decided, since I will be late and also, I have climbed staircase so many times, I might as well don’t go to the gym. Also thanks to the closure of the Kepong-MRR2 highway that screw up everybody's traveling schedule.

Ok ok.. back to my Perhentian story.

Saturday, 7 August 2004. Perhentian Kechil


Cute Mat Salleh checking out the Monk's cute butt

On the boat….

Forgot to mention. I could swear that this Mat Salleh kept staring at the Monk’s butt when we stopped for awhile for a smaller boat to pick some passengers from our boat to the shore. He was very aroused by the sight of the old scars on the Monk’s left tendon as a result of a little accident in the toilet when he was 16. Don't ask.

10.15 a.m.

We were relieved when we managed to locate a place to stay. Agonizing moments of thinking having to sleep on the shore, were soon over. Koon was still contemplating getting another place coz he didn’t like the shabby hut. When he walked back to tell us that there is a room available at Lily’s, he still had the cheek to ask us whether we would want to scout around longer for more choices. The Monk and I dropped our jaw in disbelief. We simultaneously screamed at him for being nonchalantly calm, picked up our bags and practically ran towards the chalet. Come to think of it, Koon sure is a good leader in time of crisis.

10.30 a.m.

Had brunch in the restaurant, eating the food we brought. Not much appetite after the long journey and also the frantic search for room. The boys were hungry lots. Guess God made men much simpler. Their brains consist of only two things:food and sex.

There were only a handful of Asians in this beach. Most of them are Mat and Minah Sallehs. We felt as if we were vacationing in their countries instead.


A Room with a View

11.15 a.m.

Checked into Lily’s Chalet No. 6. The place was a total rundown. The toilet was yucky. To make matter worse, the tap water was salt water. At least the bed looked clean – so it seemed.

True to what the Monk had said about Koon, he took the broom and started sweeping the sand out of the room, the verandah and the staircase. He even scolded us for not washing our feet properly. Koon, the strict disciplinarian of cleanliness.

Noon

The boys were overly enthusiastic to go snorkelling. They went on separate ways to get a boat service. The owner of Lily’s told us most boats were out since morning and we had to wait. We finally managed to get a boat service from Eddie, owner of Lazy Buoy. RM40 per person. Seven snorkelling spots. Sounded good. So, off we went.


Lazy Buoy Office

I was already half dead towards the end of the fourth spot. The sea was rough. We saw turtles, sea urchins, multi colored fish, sharks, etc. Hmmph.. did we see starfish? Some of us got bitten by planktons when we jumped into the sea of turtles (only two ekor lah). The bites gave you stinging sensation which made you think that you have cut yourself and emerge the wound in salt water. Uncomfortable, we were there for less than 10 minutes.

The highlight of the event was the visit to the spring water spot, near the fishing village. It’s a small spot of spring water. The water was cold as ice. Had a splashing time there. When I say, splashing time, I really mean splashing time. The Monk splashed all of us with the ice cold water. It’s refreshing after a long soak in sea water.


Eddie - the Boat Man

Had a chat with Eddie when the boys were in the 5th to the 7th spot as I was running low on energy (lack of sleep and food). I was amazed by his ability to speak French and English, computer literacy, and also he reads widely. Intelligent guy. He briefed me a bit on the things happening around the Perhentian Islands, about the discovery of some new species by a group of American scientists who are carrying out research in the islands' forests for the past four months. A joint venture with PERHILITAN. This is exciting.

Eddie took us to Perhentian Besar to scout for a new place to stay. We finally got a place at Coral View Island Resort – as per our initial plan. Hillview. We were too happy that we didn’t even bother to check out the rooms. Koon and Kit couldn't wait to come here as they were bored shitless of too much white flesh. They wanted to ogle at yellow or dark skin instead. Didn't know that voyeurs could be racist?

5.30 p.m.

All of us were pooped towards the end of the day. Decided to call it a day after the seventh spot. Took turns to take bath. Coz of the salt water, my hair was so rough that the spikes stood out like wires. Couldn’t imagine sleeping with spikes on, I bought some filtered spring water from Eddie to wash my hair and take my bath. Imagine paying for fresh water to take bath.

My spendthrifts disgusted Koon. I let him to touch my hair (the one on the head, of coz) before and after the fresh water wash to feel the difference. He relented.

The Monk, being the first to take bath, already snoring away on the bed. Not knowing what to do, other than ogling at the Mat Sallehs playing volley ball, reading a book by Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera, and sun bathing, I decided to take a nap too. Koon followed suit while Kit sat outside ogling at bikini clad ladies.

The Monk farted in the middle of his sleep. The silent and stinky type. It was as if the entire room had been gassed. I was too tired to even cover my nostrils. I had no choice but to doze off, inhaling the involuntary expulsion from his body.

8.00 p.m.

The Monk and I overslept. (Both of us drove most of the way). Koon and Kit were no longer in the room. I woke the Monk up for dinner. Just in case we had nothing to eat later should we didn’t go hunting for dinner now.

8.30 p.m.

The worst dinner ever. Kit was complaining about too much salt in his fried rice. The dinner was expensive and bland (except salty). To suit the taste of the Europeans, I guess. Everywhere you look, Americans, French, Italians, Dutch, etc. We were the only Asians having dinner in the restaurant.

We saw a group of six European girls, stranded in the island for being last minute in walking in to book rooms. We were baffled that Koon was not the King of Walk-In afterall. These girls were even more adventurous.

10.05 p.m.

After the salty dinner and a short stroll along the sandy white beach, we decided to play poker. Lucky thing, it’s not a strip poker, else I would be stripped bare to my bones. I lost after 2 hours of game and had to buy them breakfast the next day.

Before hitting the sack….

Self: Hey! How come there is a monk in the room?

The three of them looked alarmed. Three pairs of eyeballs searched frantically. Where? Where? Where?

I pointed at the pic of a monk above the fan moderator.

They heaved a sigh of relief. It belonged to Kit. A charm to keep us safe.

P/S Lily's Chalet was formerly Long Beach Inn. Change of management.. no wonder.

Related Stories: Post Mortem - Conclusion, Post Mortem III Post Mortem I, Ignorance is Bliss, Office Abuse of E-mails, Ain't Love Grand?, Perhentian Trip: Preparation, Supper Gang: Revealed, Dream Interpreter, I dreamt of Absolut Vodka ,Supper Talk

Comments

Backup comments said…
Aichoh!! Can’t believe you brought a book there when your fav monk is there plus those sexy hunks on the beach.
Ann | 08.15.04 – 3:11 pm | #

The book is a contingency plan. I know for sure I have no sex appeal. So..
Gina | Homepage | 08.15.04 – 7:05 pm | #

Popular Posts