KIN KIN'S RIVAL


I didn’t know about this chilli pan mein in Selayang till a colleague of mine took me there during the home alone week when my mother aka cook went to Bangkok.

It was indeed a surprise finding. Now, Selayang has another goodie to boast about.

As much as I like Kin Kin’s chilli pan mein in Chow Kit, this one is equally good. Kin Kin’s pan mein has stickier and more moisture surface and slightly thicker. This one is smoother and more refined.

It comes with generous portion of fried anchovies, minced pork and unlike Kin Kin’s, which serves only soup with leaves, this shop serves soup with pork balls and fishballs. I find the chilli is not as oily as Kin Kin’s. To top it up, it costs only RM4 (for one DAMN big bowl with egg), which is RM1 cheaper compare to Kin Kin’s pan mein. Worth every penny. There is no problem finding parking space. This chilli pan mein is situated in the middle of the second aisle of the Medan Selera Selayang in the Selayang Jaya market, opposite a stall which claimed to be Ulu Yam Loh Mee.

If you go to Kin Kin’s, they usually serve only herbal tea of either Loh Hon Kuo or Pat Chi Chou. This one also serves herbal tea as well as other tong sui such as red beans, honey sea coconut, bubur char char, black sesame, etc.

Customer service is indeed better here despite being busy. We went when it wasn’t that busy, so it was relatively comfortable. We don’t have to wait half an hour to be served and do not have to subject ourselves to the moronic waiters in Kin Kin’s who always mixed up orders.

Other than chilli pan mein, they also sell Loh Pan Mein, Pan Mein soup, Mushroom Pan mein, and any other style of Chinese fast food using purely pan mein.

I would definitely go there again to try other styles of pan mein. You may join me if you want to.

# Open for lunch only.

Comments

Backup comments said…
I want to go!
Kat | 05.20.06 – 9:29 pm | #

I am so deeply attracted by the egg!
nyabek | 05.21.06 – 2:22 am | #

oh, can i join, can i join??!! but i stay in ampang though..
Jane | Homepage | 05.21.06 – 12:09 pm | #

*waves both hands frantically*
yuin | Homepage | 05.21.06 – 12:36 pm | #

what’s that black thing? cincau with slices of coconut flesh? must tell me d location ok?
takeshiwifgoatee? | 05.21.06 – 1:17 pm | #

draw us a map will ya ?
foodcrazee | Homepage | 05.21.06 – 6:49 pm | #

hey, i seem to have this very often, not that great, and be careful of the chillies… sometimes got worms…. hee hee
The Searcher | Homepage | 05.21.06 – 9:30 pm | #

Sure boh? Is it that good? I don’t mind to try it before the weekend yum char ritual.
MonK | 05.22.06 – 1:27 am | #

Kat: Are you in Cambodia now?

nyabek: Yeah. I guess the nice egg color gives extra oomph effect on the pan mein.

Jane: If you know how to come to Selayang, be my guest.

Yuin: Maybe you wanna take train and I pick you up from Kepong to this stall… find one weekend.

Mr Goatie: It’s the chilli lah. Duh!!! It is just on the other aisle from the aisle we had our fried rice and lala chien. Remember?

foodcrazee: If you know how to get to Selayang Jaya – just look for the morning market. That is where the Medan Selera Selayang is.

The Searcher: The one in Chow Kit or the one in Selayang has worms?

Monk: It is only opened for lunch.
Gina | Homepage | 05.22.06 – 1:43 am | #

wei, i wan to go too
ryuu | Homepage | 05.22.06 – 4:07 pm | #

Lunch time is quite hot. I can be sweating all the way while having pan mein in that market. I probably da bao.
mONk | 05.23.06 – 12:34 am | #

i know where is the selayang market.. *wink*
Jane | Homepage | 05.23.06 – 10:31 am | #

Ryuu: Come with me when you return from the USA.

Monk: Jesus. I never met such a vain pot in the form of a man before. Oh wait.. the stalker..

Jane: Not the wholesale market you know. It is the Selayang Jaya morning market. Come lor.
Gina | 05.23.06 – 1:33 pm | #

In Krabi now. Weather’s not the greatest though. Brief sunny spells. But I still managed to get sunburned. haha. Waiting for the weather to turn nice to go to Phi Phi.
Kat | 05.23.06 – 11:00 pm | #

damn as i sit and read my mouth is watering…when??? sundays open? bring me thr after our “trek”… which remainds me…
jeffrey | Homepage | 05.26.06 – 10:40 am | #

Don’t torture me Jeff!! Hahah!! Open kot.. on Sunday. Have to check it out this Sunday.
Gina | 05.26.06 – 5:04 pm | #

Popular Posts