PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES

Well, a week ago, Ann told me of her colleague who died in a freak accident while on her way back to KL from Muar, after attending a friend’s wedding. The four friends who went together died on the spot, when their car was hit by a truck from the opposite side of the road after one of its tyres punctured and the truck went out of control.

Just like that, Ann has lost a friend.

I could still remember the late Endok as we used to park in the same parking lot. Every other morning, I would see her getting out of her Kancil and we would nod at each other and smiled.

We will not know what is waiting for us tomorrow. We always think, such things will not happen to us. Accidents happened all the time, they don’t pick their victims. It always happen when you least expected it.

As a precautionary measure, I would like to advise my friends and also fellow readers that, it is important to leave a will. It is no longer a taboo subject. Leaving a will would ease a family’s burden on trying to manage the estate of the deceased once we passed away.

I took this matter seriously. I even drawn up a few wills when my aunts and mom left for Bangkok the other day, fearing that it would be the last I see them. Maybe I am a bit over paranoid and thank goodness my aunts and mom were sporting enough to sign the dotted lines; but I guess, it is better to be paranoid now than to suffer later.

Friends whose parents or relatives or loved ones died unexpectedly without a will had faced numerous problems after the sudden deaths.

Hence, I am here to urge you to at least write something which would assist the living once we kick the bucket unexpectedly. Append below is a sample of will. It is highly advisable to leave this to a professional, you may seek advice of Trustee Companies such as BHLB Trustee Berhad , Amanah Raya Berhad and OSK Trustee.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me, [name] (NRIC NO. ) of [residential address] domicile in Malaysia made this Xth day of X in the year of 200X.

I HEREBY REVOKE all my former Wills and Testamentary dispositions made by me at anytime heretofore AND DECLARE this to be my Last Will and Testament.

I HEREBY APPOINT [executor – can be anyone you trust or better, leave them to the professional such as trustee companies] (NRIC No./Company No. ) of [address] to be my sole EXECUTOR and TRUSTEE (hereinafter referred to as “the Trustee”) of this my Last Will.

I DIRECT MY TRUSTEE to pay all my just debts, funeral and testamentary expenses as soon as conveniently may be after my decease.

I GIVE AND BEQUEATH my Y% share of the following; registered in my name to my [next-of-kin], [name of next-of-kin] (NRIC NO. ).
Examples:-


Asset
Immovable Property

Land

I GIVE AND BEQUEATH my half share of property held under Title No. H.S.(D) No. 168, Lot No. PT 1234, Mukim Sungai Mas, Daerah Kuala Lumpur, Negeri Wilayah Persekutuan to my wife, XXXXXXXXXXXXX (NRIC No.:XXXXXXXXX) absolutely.


Land and building
I GIVE AND BEQUEATH my half share of property held under Title No. H.S.(D) No. 168, Lot No. PT 1234, Mukim Sungai Mas, Daerah Kuala Lumpur, Negeri Wilayah Persekutuan together with a double storey link house erected thereon known as No. 88, Jalan 8/18, Desa Jaya, 57000 Kuala Lumpur to my wife, XXXXXXXXXXXXX (NRIC No.:XXXXXXXXX) absolutely.

I give, devise and bequeath to my son, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (NRIC No.: XXXXXXXXXX) absolutely my one third (1/3) undivided share in the house known as 88-8, Jalan 8-88, Taman Happy, 56100 Kuala Lumpur held under Certificate of Title No. 123456, Lot No. 666, Section 88, in the Town and District of Kuala Lumpur.

Movable Property
I GIVE AND BEQUEATH my movable properties as stated below to my wife, XXXXXXXXXXXXX (NRIC No.:XXXXXXXXX) absolutely.

BANK ACCOUNTS
i. RHB BANK BERHAD
Savings Account: A/c No.:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STOCK AND SHARES
i. The Central Depository (Pte) Ltd
Securities Account No. XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

ii. Philip Securities Pte Ltd
Trading Account No.: XXXXXXXXXXX

INSURANCE POLICIES

i. Maybank Assurance Berhad Kuala Lumpur
Personal Accident Policy No.: XXXXXXXXXXX

SAFE DEPOSIT BOX

Box No. XXX
Name of Bank:
Branch:

VEHICLE
Type:
Regn. No.:

I GIVE, DEVISE AND BEQUEATH the rest and residue of my property both real and personal of whatsoever nature and wheresoever situated unto my beneficiaries mentioned above in equally.

In WITNESS WHEREOF, I the said [name] have hereunto set my hand this Xth day of X [month] 200X.

Signed by the said abovenamed testator ]
[name] ]
in the presence of us both present at the ]
same time who at his request and in ]
the presence of each other have hereunto ]
subscribed our names as witnesses:- ]


Witness #1
Signature:
Name :
NRIC No:
Address:

Witness #2
Signature:
Name :
NRIC No:
Address:

* Applicable for non Muslims only. Distribution of estate of Muslims is subject to Syariah Law.

Comments

Backup comments said…
so…am i in yr will?? u put me, i put u lar, ok?

email me in word version, can or not?
takeshi | 05.23.06 – 12:23 pm | #

Takeshi: Nothing to give to you also… unless you want my whole collection of books. I have quite a big library.
Gina | 05.23.06 – 5:22 pm | #

i dun mind at all.
Takeshi Asswipe | 05.23.06 – 8:40 pm | #

alamak.
takeshi | 05.23.06 – 8:40 pm | #

poor people. which part of muar did they go to? i’m from muar and the trunk road from tangkak exit to muar town can be dangerous. may sound a bit morbid writing this but u can get some good food in muar….oh chien, mee pok, otak-otak. i know all the makan lobangs. eat, drink and be happy for u know not what the new day brings……..
r | 05.24.06 – 12:57 am | #

i was just telling my mom yday she should do hers soon for all the hassle we’ve ben facing over dads – n its been 3 years! n nothing had finished sigh
visithra | Homepage | 05.24.06 – 4:56 pm | #

R: aiyoh.. apa lah you. Memang morbid pun. Is it? Next time you go back to Muar, tag me along!!

visithra: I am sorry to hear about your dad. I guess it is prudent to draw up a will for your mother and also yourself – seriously. It doesn’t matter how old. We just have to be cautious.
Gina | Homepage | 05.24.06 – 11:54 pm | #

err.. u didn’t say anything about the charges these trustee organizations charge
ryuu | Homepage | 05.26.06 – 1:28 pm | #

Ryuu: That is why I put the link there for you to check it out yourself. Prices range from RM300 to RM1,000 for writing of will and retainer charge of RM600 per lifetime (one off) or RM80 per year.
Gina | 05.26.06 – 5:06 pm | #

Popular Posts