BUSINESS TACTICS

Last weekend, when I was queuing up to buy 4D at Da Ma Cai, I spotted a man in his late 40s, selling yummy looking curry puffs and siew pao. He was calling out to everyone walking past him to make a purchase. I decided to buy the curry puffs after buying 4D.

When I walked towards him, he called out to me, “Aunty! Come buy my curry puffs!”

I looked at him, pissed off.

He then, changed his words, “Si Tao Poh, come buy my curry puffs!”

I shook my head and walked off.

How could you address me as “aunty” when you are well in your late 40s? There goes his chance of earning some money from me.

When I was younger, I had the same problem as well. Probably due to my size, I looked much older for my age, or even worse, I looked like a boy.

I remembered once, I was walking with my pretty cousin sister to pasar malam hand-in-hand when a stall owner who knew my cousin sister called out to her, “Wah!!! New boyfriend ah??”

Both of us stared at him and gave him the middle finger.

“This is my cousin sister lah!!!” My cousin sis yelled back at the trader.

The trader smiled sheepishly as I glared at him.

When I went browsing through some stuffs, another trader tried to start a conversation with me, “Leng Chai! This t-shirt is only RM10!”

Without a word, I walked off as well.

When I was in Taiping, I was sitting in the living room, dozing off on the couch while my uncle was lying on the floor, watching tv.

Then, two elderly couple came to our house to ask for money for the temple.

They said to me – “Ah Soh! Tay ean!” (*Hokkien: Aunty! Donation for temple!)

Wah lao yeh. Ah Soh at age 10?? Jesus!

In TAR College, while I was waiting for my friends to join me for dinner, a waitress walked from my behind and asked me, “Leng Chai! Would you like to order a drink?”

I looked at her and smiled. She was shocked and apologized, “Sorry! From the back, you look like a man!”

Bear in mind, at that point of time, I had shoulder length hair. No wonder some friends thought I am James’ brother – the more handsome one, that is. Hahaha!!

Nowadays, it is harder to do business as it is getting competitive. In order to remain competitive, these petty things matter.

If you are not sure how to address the other person – you could just call them Boss – Si Tao Poh (Lady boss) or Si Tao or Lou Sai (man boss). Try not to use too much leng chai or leng loi as I couldn’t really stand it when people call me leng loi, in order to try to get my business; for apparent reasons.

And if you are really sure that the person is older than you, and then only you address the person as “Aunty” or “Uncle”. And if you are already well in your 40s or 50s – I guess it is not so appropriate to address anyone “Aunty” or “Uncle”, unless the person has a head full of white hair and face full of wrinkles. On the safe side, just address everyone as BOSS.

I think, the machas at the car wash centre where I used to send my car are the best. They always address me as Ah Moi or Boss!

It doesn’t take a genius to figure this out.

Comments

Backup comments said…
maybe you should keep long hair?
yuin | Homepage | 05.09.06 – 2:02 pm | #

…and stop wearing check shirts.
stevo | Homepage | 05.09.06 – 2:22 pm | #

aiya that bugger that sells curry puff deserve to have all his goods ROBBED from him!

peace,
e
ed | 05.10.06 – 12:54 am | #

hahaha! I have to suppressed my laughters from waking up my family…

muahahaha!
laymank | 05.10.06 – 12:55 am | #

More accessories perhaps?? The right accessories sure does wonders you know

Maybe I’ll get you some on your next birthday. Should have bought you that cute little bracelet for this year’s birthday instead of that bag.
cynthia | 05.10.06 – 11:24 am | #

dude, thx for the dinner…c u later aligator. chow kit next round right?? cheers! mizz ya!
takeshi | 05.10.06 – 12:04 pm | #

Yuin: I kept my hair long and people mistaken me as a man.

Stevo: Check shirts?? Hmmph… I think I wore check shirt once.

Ed: Aiyah. Don’t be so cruel lah. Haha!

laymank: Wait till people call you UNCLE!

cynthia: I am never comfortable wearing accessories..

Takeshi: Apa lah. Chow Kit’s dinner will be on you!
Gina | 05.10.06 – 3:12 pm | #

Don’t worry Gina dear, who cares what he calls you – dia memang myopic – can’t see the beauty within.
vegie | Homepage | 05.10.06 – 8:26 pm | #

People already called me uncle la…
In fact, I was ‘promoted’ to be ‘uncle’ when I was 19!!
:p

But I surely cannot tahan ‘aunties’ calling me uncle. If the auntie doesn’t mind me shout out loud ‘auntie’ at her in the public, then go ahead. Heehee…
laymank | 05.10.06 – 10:52 pm | #

Vegie: Hahaha!! Myopic?? Hahaha!!! Old liao mah.. cannot see clearly.

laymank: You also uncle kah? Hahahah!!! I guess everyone is just plain blind! Or maybe just jealous because we are still young. ahhahaha! Sigh. We will grow old someday. So better get used to being called uncle and aunty.
Gina | Homepage | 05.12.06 – 3:52 pm | #

hehehe, i hv finally read this amidst of glam boutiques in paragon.

dont ever think of even cutting yr hair short…sure, leang chai ah pek.
leangchai takeshi | 05.15.06 – 11:08 pm | #

Wah lan eh.. call me leng chai ah pek some more!!! My cousin sis keeps saying you look like Ah Pek (the malay guy famous for sitcom). Hahaha!!
Gina | Homepage | 05.16.06 – 11:58 pm | #

Popular Posts