FREE AS A BIRD


"In liberating the living
You yourself will live long.
Health, riches and blessings
Will descend upon you, never-ending."

Today I went to Petaling Street with WY and Ed. The main purpose is to give some offerings to the Grand Duke at Si Yeh Temple, for those born under the sign of dragons would be conflicting the Grand Duke in the Lunar Constellation, next year. We also need to “wan san” (repay the gods) on wishes that we made two years ago. I believe, even if our hearts wishes* did not come true. I think it is better to pray to the gods, anyway, for our families have been in good health and safe all year round. What more could one ask for?

*(I was sort of being “coerced” into praying for a soul mate in life by WY. Even the ah pek who is in charge of performing the ritual for us, told me that I have to do it. Do I look desperate to him?)

After Si Yeh Temple, we went to have breakfast at the Hawker’s stalls and then, to a pet shop to buy some birds. WY got 6 birds, Ed – 10 and myself – 8. I remembered once, I was too desperate to pass my ICSA exams, I went with WY to do the same thing (liberate the birds), and guess what? I did pass the sitting itself and managed to graduate. This is just one of the things that I did – I went to church, I bought a good luck crystal and even promised the salesperson I would buy him chicken rice if I pass my exams.. and went to offer joss sticks and papers to the Goddess of Mercy’s temple in Jalan Ipoh everyday for 2 months before my exams... and I still call myself an atheist. I think I am a pagan!

My mother was totally against this ritual as she said, if there weren’t people like us demanding for these birds, those people wouldn’t have needed to catch those birds for sale. You know – this is a cycle. You want the birds, they will go and catch, then sell it to you. But I would like to think of the other way round – if there is no demand for these birds, these people would be jobless. They need the money to feed their family also. Chicken and egg story? Mother meant well. I guess everyone should first and foremostly have a pure heart. It is a total waste if we abide to every ritual, and yet living in sin by hurting other people through our actions, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Well, actually, it is kinda hypocritical for us to do this since we are meat eaters - we shouldn't have eaten meat at the first place to stop killing of animals!! Anyway, this is all symbolic lah. (Ed is a vegetarian, by the way).

Rather than setting free the birds in Petaling Street with polluted air , we chose Taman Tasik Perdana as the new dwelling place for the birds. We loitered in Lake Gardens under the scorching afternoon sun to look for the best spot.

I found a river and told WY and Ed that, this should be a good spot. The birds might need to drink water. Ed tried not to roll his eyes and said – birds don’t drink water from the river. They take their water from their food. Ish.. I felt like an idiot for not watching National Geographics.

I asked them if we need to make a wish before setting the birds free. Ed made a very profound wish. He said, – I have given you a new lease of life, I hope the same would be bestowed to me as well.

I made my little wish too. Nothing fancy, other than the usual one that I have always made every year – that my family members will always be safe and in good health.

Read more on why do we liberate living animals.

Comments

Backup comments said…
they are born free and should be set free…. wahh, you do alot of ritual stuff lei.. ada effect ah, cheers!
JoeC | Homepage | 12.12.05 – 10:00 am | #

can u set me free too and gimme a break???? hehehehehehhehehehehe, kidding mate.

anyway, it is a good thing really. but this act should be done not merely for the sake of the ritual, it should be for the sake of the animals. why dont u guys buy off the cages of pet shops (like, tortoise or fishes) instead???
archie | 12.12.05 – 10:57 am | #

i’m with ur mum. No demand then no supply.

Archie – once they free the animals they wont be able to eat the same species of animal again. i.e. if ur use fish for this ritual , u r not suppose to eat fish!

What a ritual !
foodcrazee | 12.12.05 – 11:07 am | #

So chickens are considered birds. So Gina cannot eat chicken anymore???? Oh….life not worth living without fried chickens eh?? hehe..
Ann | 12.13.05 – 1:18 pm | #

JoeC: Kalo takde effect, I won’t do it. Kiasu mah. ha ha ha! No lah. I dunno if got effect. But things tend to fall into places when I do it.

Archie: Aiyah. I am not a … devoted animal rights activist leh.

food crazee: Momma is always right. Ah.. this is the first time I hear this – set free fish, cannot eat fish.

Ann: It’s a different species of birds altogether.. I like my Kentakki extra crispy, please. Heh.
Gina | Homepage | 12.13.05 – 8:57 pm | #

lolz…kentakki it is….what a choice of word
foodcrazee | 12.13.05 – 9:07 pm | #

foodcrazee: Kentakki is the Japanese word for KFC.
Gina | Homepage | 12.13.05 – 9:32 pm | #

Popular Posts