DIVINE BAK KUT TEH

One good turn deserves another. I fetch Ann to work today to repay her kindness to give me a ride to work when my car was at the workshop.

Ann invited me for a bak kut teh (BKT) dinner tonight. Then, she recalled that I had to go on a diet. However, she dismissed the thought of MY dieting coz she was craving for it. Selfish thoughts, eh? Ha ha. Kidding!! I am a prisoner of my taste buds as well.

I had a few BKT all over Kuala Lumpur. I know the famous BKT is in Telok Pulai, Klang but its counterparts in Kuala Lumpur aren’t that bad either.

There is a nice BKT shop in Selayang, called Bing Bing BKT, which I had with a few friends before, usually after a long walk at FRIM – yes, again, there goes my effort. There is also another kick-ass BKT in Jalan Horley near Imbi.

There were a few BKT shops in the whole stretch of Jalan Ipoh, I think approximately, 5 to 6 shops and I had tried all of them. (Not at one go though! In a span of a few years, when I was still working in Jalan Ipoh). The particular one which I like is the one next to Dynasty Hotel, where you would see a row of cars parking illegally by the roadside, Ban Lee Coffee Shop.

At times, you would see DBKL coming with tow trucks to tow away the cars. The patrons who happened to park at the roadside would always be on the look out. Whenever they see the DBKL coming, they would leave their tables and frantically move their cars. Talk about sacrificing for a meal... or maybe this is their trick to avoid paying after eating??

You can say that I am a seasoned BKT connoisseur – but I hardly eat the innards till recently, I started to acquire the taste of a pig’s intestine.

Whenever I had my BKT, yao char kuai, kam cham ku (straw mushrooms), tau foo pok, yau choi and lotsa garlic with black sauce is a ritual, or else my BKT meal would be incomplete. I prefer my BKT with thick dong guai smell, and taste slightly bitter, not too salty or sweet.

After the scrumptious dinner, we walked past the famous Goddess of Mercy temple on the shoulder of the road, facing the traffic lights. I remembered I once made a wish there and it was fulfilled, i.e. to pass my exams – my last paper which took me two years to complete.


I did everything I could due to desperation – I studied hard, but the paper was unpredictable. So, I decided to seek divine intervention. I went to church, I offerred joss sticks to the Goddess of Mercy of this temple almost everyday in the morning, before I go to work, I bought a crystal for myself while getting one for a friend’s birthday, and even promised the crystal fella to buy him chicken rice if I passed my exams with flying colors (which I eventually did and he was just glad that I made it).

I was at the verge of giving up, if not for my insurance boss. She told me to buy rokok daun, tobacco, sirih and pinang from the Indian shop, and offering them to the Na Tok Kong (the deity with long white beard wearing a songkok). I did just that.

That year, I passed my Corporate Finance paper with merit.

I quickly ushered Ann to the temple and told her to pray to the Goddess of Mercy and the Na Toh Kong in the temple. Geezz.. kids nowadays don't really know how to go about putting joss sticks and burning joss papers. A beggar there, assisted and instructed Ann on how to go about it, as I could not enter the temple with ta pao BKT in my hands. Ha ha! Kindly silly considering we just had BKT and we were not that pure either.. we are supposed to go vegetarian as today's the 15th day of the Lunar month. I hope that lady luck would smile at Ann, for her exams.

I heard stories that, if you wish to have something badly but didn’t manage to get it, you could try to seek help from this Goddess of Mercy or other deities in this temple in Jalan Ipoh. Just be sincere when you seek help, I am sure she/he would answer your prayer... Goddess of Mercy was actually a man, but that is another story altogether.

Comments

Backup comments said…
yes i am the first.. need help here, i am going to kl sooon would like to know where are teh better haunts for food. maybe u can tell me where are the better place.. dont worry will go look for it myself.. but a road name would be nice. just out of curiousity is it SS2 or SS22 where all the good food is? cherios
mygixs | 10.18.05 – 1:39 am | #

Slurrrrp!
Anonymous | 10.18.05 – 1:43 am | #

have you been to the one in pj old town? behind the shophouses where mcdonalds is. the corner one. ooo yummies! the singaporeans prefer the peppery style… yucks!
rijac | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 1:48 am | #

great one Gina!
eh i thought if you eat pork you’re not suppose to pray to kuan yim after eating meat?

btw, there is a stall somewhere along Jln Tun HS lee that sells pork innards soup. i’ve only been there once with a workmate so i can’t remember where but it was damn good. its by the roadside and when we went about 8 it was almost finished.
yuin | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 1:58 am | #
Backup comments said…
So you re the bkt experten in KL ler, what abt PJ and Klang? bkt is good, is a complete meal, got your meat, got your veggie, got your herbal soup, rice and glasses of hot tea…ahhh, whats not to like, yum, yum. Cheers!
JoeC | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 9:57 am | #

wow..another bkt connoisseur.

emm, frm your recommendations, u hv left out one secret outlet located in segambut….. do u knw?
keatix | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 11:15 am | #

got one shop beside LDP called ah sang BKT. kick ass BKT also. turn left near the mobil petrol station after the LDP furniture mall (puchong bound). there’s a parking space nearby an indian temple
char siew bro | 10.18.05 – 12:04 pm | #

Ah.. Ban Lee. Yes, the place is good. Another place in Jalan Ipoh which has fantastic BKT is Restoran Southern. Simply superb I tell you!
Prem | 10.18.05 – 12:15 pm | #

Hi Gina,

Isn’t it weird that I know the best places to ‘kao san’ (petition the Gods) in Bangkok or Hatyai, but when it comes to Kuala Lumpur, I am totally blur!

Well, if you are in Bangkok again, consider the following shrines/ temples:-

Career Success – Chula Shrine at Dusit

Get Boyfriend Friend – Phra Mae Kanong Sukhumwit 101

Get Girlfriend – Anusawari Pra Jao Thaksin, Wong Wian Yai, Thonburi

GF- BF forever – Trimurthi, Ploenchit

Money – Phra Chang Erawan, Samut Prakan

For everything under the sun – Wat Thao Maha Brahma (Phra Phrom Erawan) Ploenchit.

Well, there are other important shrines too like Lak Muang, Chao Meh Torani, Chao Meh Lim Ko Nio etc etc

About BKT, i guess, my favourite is the HOkkien Assembly HAll in Klang
Kitjar Sukjaidee | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 3:53 pm | #

Oops, Gina, I forgot something ahh..

To get BF or GF, only for straight people ahh… Prajao Taksin, and Phra Mae Khanong are not for making gay wishes….. no BF-BF and GF-GF…

I just remembered that if Ed is reading, he might go to Phra Mae Khanong to ask for a BF ler… hee hee
Kitjar Sukjaidee | Homepage | 10.18.05 – 9:40 pm | #

my bro says he saw the workers pouring the balance of the sauce from other customers’ dish into the main pot. he says although it is famous, he will never go there again. just wondering if they are that hygenic.
victoria | 10.19.05 – 4:42 pm | #

Mygixs: This one is in Jalan Ipoh, near Dynasty Hotel.

People, thanks for the pointers of the new places for me to test BKT. Heh. This year is going to be BKT testing year.

Vicki: Being wet blanket is it? I sat next to the brewing pot the other night and everything is freshly done.
Gina | Homepage | 10.20.05 – 12:53 am | #

not being wet blanket la. my bro confirms what he saw. i guess he was just rather unfortunate that day.
victoria | 10.25.05 – 3:49 pm | #

Popular Posts