CULTURE SHOCK

Am I still in Malaysia? Is this a dream? Is this the correct train station?

This was my reaction when I took the train to work this morning.

I was the first to arrive at the platform at Sentral Putra LRT. I was standing right in front, day dreaming away. As the train approached, I braced myself for some pushing and shoving impact.

A Malay lady in pink tudung, gently tapped me on my shoulder and said, “You have to get into the line”.

I was stunned and blurted, “Ah?? Must line up meh??” but was ushered by the “line” into the train.

Since when Malaysians start lining up for trains?? Pardon my ignorance. I haven't travelled by train for two whole years.

Anyway, this is a good sign that people are getting more civilized and courteous. The once controversial advertisement about a guy in tie pretending to sleep in his seat when he saw an old lady and a pregnant lady, coming into the train, is working miraculously. Syabas, Puan Yasmin!

This morning, at the Komuter, KTM from Kepong, a limping guy in stretches was offered a seat by two person simultaneously. At Sentral Station, Putra LRT, everyone was lining up to wait for turns to get into the train.

Malaysians are changing for the better? Malaysia memang boleh.

P.S. Ann, thanks for the tip to avoid the excretement of a mad fella on the pavement at bus stop near KLCC train station.


Comments

Backup comments said…
that’s good to know.
perhaps we’re starting to change, afer all
Vagus | Homepage | 10.08.05 – 8:16 pm | #

opps..u sound offended. i dont mean to be sarcastic. jus pulling your leg..hehehehe,

ps. emmm, i m not very good at jokes, hehehe.
keatix | Homepage | 10.08.05 – 11:30 pm | #

keatix: Aiks. No lah. I am not offended. Ha ha ha. Please. It takes more than this to piss me off. Have a good weekend. Do you have yahoo messenger or msn? Buzz me.
Gina | Homepage | 10.09.05 – 12:02 am | #

it’s really nice to hear this from you. and hopefully great manner like this will persist.
greenapple | Homepage | 10.09.05 – 2:50 pm | #

Emma: Hopefully, in a few more years, you would come back and surprise by the changes here back home!
Gina | Homepage | 10.10.05 – 2:24 am | #

So u saw any naked man standing beside the bus stop?
Ann | 10.10.05 – 2:52 pm | #

No worr, Ann. He was no where in sight. Thank God.
Gina | Homepage | 10.10.05 – 9:50 pm | #

What the hell y’all talkin’ about??!! I went to KLCC on the LRT a week ago. It’s still the same old football tackle (American style) rush to get in. This is the best part to show disrespect to people older or younger than you IF THEY’RE BULLRUSHING EVERYONE because that itself is justification for a reason. So i like to say piss off old fuck (if he’s older) or hey little kid, let people pass you dipshit (if they’re younger). I do have a degree of respect to elders, but i won;t kow tow to them. People earn respect, not demand it by virtue of age. It’s good to look at the reaction of older people’s faces when a younger man says it to them and they don’t say shit cos they know they’re wrong. They try to give me that ‘give your elders some respect’ crap and i give them a knuckle sandwich. Simple.
Chris Wu | Homepage | 10.21.05 – 3:05 pm | #

Chris: You yong sui lah. I go, people lined up. You go – you look so dipshit people decided to bypass you. Ha ha
Gina | Homepage | 10.22.05 – 12:59 am | #

Popular Posts