REALITY BITES

James’ post on what makes the opposite sex ticks; sets me thinking... again. In fact, these things have been obviously made known to many of us (the girls) long time ago since we reached puberty and in the hunting mode for potential life partner(s).

He is right. Men are shallow. Women are in Hobson’s choice but to deal with it.

I was delighted to meet Seng again during Kim’s wedding. He is a kindred spirit. Like Aristotle once said, “A friend is like a soul dwelling in two bodies.”

Looks aside, he is quite a catch. Good family background, helpful person, hilariously funny, witty, an engineer with a multinational company, etc.

We think alike, share similar ideals in life, cynical, apprehensive about religions, witty and very, very humorous. Sometimes, I don’t have to say what’s in my mind, he already knew. It somehow scares the living daylights out of us because we only meet each other occasionally, not more than twice a year.

Being my usual thick-skinned and blunt self, I asked him as-a-matter-of-factly, would he consider me as his girl friend if I were not overweight.

He gave me an affirmative answer. He said YES. For the first time in many years, I don’t think he is an asshole for admitting to this.

A thought-provoking discussion ensued.

I told him, if a man were to love me for my outward appearance, then I shouldn’t even be with that man. He might ditch me when I grow old and fat. If I were to be slim and beautiful, I would rather stay single than to worry constantly that he might love me for my looks and nothing else.

Then, he threw me a question, which shook the very core of my ideals. He asked if I would consider him as a boyfriend if he is a beggar?

I was dumbfounded for a minute.

Reality bites.

As most men go for looks, most women go for money (or security – a subtler word women like to use).

Well, girls. If you don’t want to miss the boat, you should start to look pretty, dress up, no more frumpy granny clothings, fully utilize your feminine wiles… not all men are shallow, but sadly, most of them are.

Don’t you prefer to hunt for men in the 90% (shallow) group?

Before I posted this, I asked Ms Lactose for her comments.. here’s what she says:

Not bad. I have to beg to differ, met a couple of girls who goes for looks too… Then how do we rate them, into which percentage?

My 2 cents worth – a man is not worth being with if the inner self of a loved one they do not see. Always believed what’s inside that counts rather than the outside. It’s perfectly normal to possess these values and stand firm with that decision.

Guys look for pretty girls, but don’t they run the risk of aggressive, compulsive, possessive, manja, teaser, flirty, personalities that these girls may possessed? Most pretty girls know they’re pretty and mean it! I could be wrong here as different girls carry different personalities, be them pretty or average looking.

But it’s nice to hear from a kindred soul of a friend to say he would consider you a girlfriend if you were slimmer, or if you were this or if you were that. In the first place, would he have considered you if he were attracted to you, warts and all, because of your personality and sharing the same interest? Why would he want to consider it only when you’re slimmer? He’s just not into you, Gina, not because of your size. And no amount of reasons or what if or could be would do.

Ouch. Hahhaha.

Comments

Backup comments said…
Good post. My two cents on the topic: men are visual creatures but having said that, GOOD men are not superficial creatures. They look for personality, intelligence, warmth, character…the REAL you.

Nevertheless, that is no excuse to allow yourself to slip into “just woke up, I look like a ghost” image. Men are proud creatures who would love to be seen with a well-groomed partner – noticed that I didn’t say beautiful simply because beauty IS truly in the eye of the beholder.

At the end of the day, if a man says that he’s looking for a well-groomed partner with personality, it’s an honest answer. Better than a lie if you ask me.
Mei | Homepage | 12.22.04 – 9:33 am | #
Backup comments said…
I’d have to violently disagree with Ms Lactose. Her comments are full of stereotypes and cliches. Pretty girls are not necessarily yucky people. Similarly, yucky girl do not always have beautiful personalities.

As for guys choosing beauty, does it mean that girls don’t mind a bug-ugly guy? We all choose beauty in all their different forms. We all have our own different standards for measuring beauty. Which is why some women love hairy men, while some others can’t stand them. Some women think bald men are sexy, others think they’re uncles. Some women like slim men, others think thin men are wimpy.

The point is, whether women care to admit it or not, as long as you like it, then it’s beautiful. But if you can’t stand it, then it’s ugly.

Some things we can change – how we wear our hair, how we paint our face, how we dress, how we weigh. If my wife ever ask me to cut my heair, lose weight and buff up, I’d do it for her.
james | Homepage | 12.22.04 – 10:57 am | #
Backup comments said…
But if she asked me to suddenly grow some dimples, turn pasty white or gain some height then she obviously with the wrong person.

So, Ms Lactose is dead wrong. The way I see it, he’s into you. He’s just not into the way you look. But hey, isn’t that the one thing you can change? It’s always easier to change your looks than to change your personality.

Or you could wait around for a guy who would take the whole package. And believe me, he exists. There’s always someone who’d like you just the way you are. But you’d have to consider this: would you like him back?
james | Homepage | 12.22.04 – 10:57 am | #
Backup comments said…
Men are not ENTIRELY visual creatures, that’s true, but there must be the visual element to start, I think. Merry Christmas, everyone.
anonymous | Homepage | 12.22.04 – 11:53 am | #

joanna bessey did it, why cant u gina?!!!
VJ | 12.22.04 – 9:26 pm | #

Fellow Bloggers and friends, points taken and appreciated with utmost gratitude!

Woah.. James. I think you can paste this comment in your blog. Hahaha. Very nice way of motivating me. Appreciate it very much.

Well, VJ, Joanna has money and sponsors to help her. No worries. I would do it MY way! That’s a promise.
Gina | Homepage | 12.23.04 – 12:34 am | #
Backup comments said…
Before I knew my husband, I hung out alot with my other guy friends. You can safely categories them under “the man on the street”. Good hardworking single men, average looking. I learnt something from these guys about men in general. Men like to brag. When you ask them what is the ideal girl for them they’ll say tall, slim, long hair and pretty face. Most of them will say that. But when you actually see the girlfriends, totally different. I am serious. Sometimes, guys just say those annoying things, it’s an ego trip for them.

A friend of mine had a choice between a sexy model like girl and an ordinary plain jane, he chose the plain jane cos she’s more interesting and apparently better in bed. Plain jane rejected him, model girl begged him to take her, he said no to model girl.
KML | 12.25.04 – 5:10 pm | #

I guess to an extend guys are visual creatures, they are made that way. But when it comes to a serious relationship, outward appearance would play a lesser role than everything else. When it comes to looks guys wouldn’t mind a girl who dresses well and whose looks doesn’t scare them in the morning (a face bearable to them). So when your friend said he may give it a try, he actually means it.
KML | 12.25.04 – 5:10 pm | #

Popular Posts