THE FATHOM OF LOVE

Then say you'll share with me
one love, one lifetime . . .
Iet me lead you
from your solitude . . .

Multi Faceted Love

I finally get to watch the movie, "The Phantom of the Opera" with friends. But I ended up sitting alone also because there weren’t enough nice seats to accommodate the three of us. The cinema was not packed to the brim though, in anticipation that this movie will take 3 long hours.. and all they did, was to sing, sing and sing. I guess memories of Evita, still haunt them.

I think my age is catching up, that I begin to appreciate musicals and plays.. and jazz.

Friends who couldn’t make it for this movie for all sorts of reasons wouldn’t know what they have just missed.

It was a grandeur movie, with carefully chosen heart-felt words for the songs. It was not as grand as Moulin Rouge with the star studded casts and elaborate costumes. Nevertheless, it remains as vividly intoxicating. Oh gawd.. I just love the masks in "Masquerade".

However, this movie is strictly for patrons with good ear for music only. Those who think Nirvana is music, can forget this. (I am also a fan of Nirvana – I am exceptional coz I am adaptive. Most Aquarians are.)

I was really irked by a couple of Mandarin-speaking Ah Beng and Ah Lian who sat behind me and occasionally shook their legs. I was hoping that Christine would sing a high pitched note and break their ear drums, or better still, strangled to death by the Phantom, for being disrespectful. Thank goodness, they were only irritating for awhile. I think they dig the movie too.

I was mesmerized by this movie for it is a tale of multi faceted love. A torn between selfless and selfish love, a coalition of love and hate, sacrificial love, undying love, unrequited love, mysterious, yearning, forlorn and pitiful.

*Sigh with awe* I am going to watch it again next week.

Comments

Backup comments said…
And I’m gonna get the DVD. :p
Mei | Homepage | 12.23.04 – 9:03 am | #

Mei: Advisable to go to the cinema.. for the surround sound. It was like a real play.

Not many musical fans I see…
Gina | Homepage | 12.25.04 – 5:14 pm | #

i havnt watch the movie yet. i didnt know you are a musical fan. are you into musicals, like the ones on stage? my brother is and he has watched musicals like “cats”, “saturday night live”, “momma mia”, etc. you should try to catch these musicals when they are staged in malaysia because i feel they are much better than movies.
victoria | 12.29.04 – 9:37 pm | #

It comes with age, Victoria. Heheh. Yeah. I haven’t watch anything live on stage before – except a comedy, Pluck.

My friend advises me that, go for the ones from the USA. The Australian or Malaysian version of the Phantom of the Opera sucks big time, it seems.
Gina | Homepage | 12.29.04 – 9:56 pm | #

Popular Posts