HARI INI DALAM SEJARAH

The supper gang again.. this is getting routinous.

Earlier, I dropped two mooncakes at the Monk’s house, to spare myself from being tormented for discrimination – I did not buy for the Demented Duo and Mr Curly. I found out that the Monk’s family is also a school of piranhas. In less than 5 minutes, they devoured the Tiramisu and Black Pearl of Harmony from Baker’s Cottage. Didn’t know the nephews would be in.

Likewise, my family before my sister became anorexic, we would eat everything in sight.


Mooncakes

Black Pearl of Harmony


Tiramisu#

# Simply yummy. Highly Recommended.

That aside… despite the many gorgeous guys to ogle at in the new Survivor Season 9, I went to ritual Friday supper with the gang.

Since all of us were chatting randomly* (Topics from tax to women from China, masseurs, accounting, acupuncture, Buddhism, an estranged friend planning to flee the country for owing the loan sharks money (favorite topic), highlight of the week, etc), we decided to synchronize our topic to old times, so everyone could contribute whatever they remembered from the past.

*The Monk and I do not know anything about accounting and ladies from China, Curly would blush whenever a sex topic cropped up, Koon could basically talk about any topics, and Kit would occasionally slip into a meditation mode (closes his eyes)when the conversation gets too petty for his likings.

It all started when Curly mentioned that he saw Mrs Teoh, who taught Accounting back in Form 4&5. I have no inkling of who she was as I was from Science class. We shared a common Add Math teacher though, Mr Chang.

Mr Chang is a bachelor in his late 40s. He is a man of small stature and he has an unassuming sense of humor.

The boys burst out laughing, reminiscing a particular episode where Mr Chang commented that Curly looked sebijik (Broken Malay: exactly) like a monkey when he (Curly) took off his t-shirt after PE and exposed his bags of bones shamelessly in class.

Curly retorted by saying that Mr Chang’s physical built ain’t that impressive either.

Mr Chang nonchalantly replied, “At least I don’t show my body to public.” Then, he (Mr Chang) broke into a sly snigger while the entire classroom roared in laughter.

They were surprised that I kept in touch with him for four years after we left school. My brother and his friends had created a good repo with him and we went to his house for four consecutive Christmases till everyone is busy with their own agendas.

Every school has a legendary beauty in their year. As for Class of ‘93, Betty Boo^ (or I would prefer, Best B*tch - "BB") was the most -talked -about girl in school. She is a petite girl with big eyes, fair, a dancer, Chinese Society President, brainy, my classmate etc. She’s got almost everything that a girl would want.. except, she doesn’t have big boobs. God is fair… at times.


Betty Boo

The Monk, Curly, and some of the males back in school admitted that they simultaneously had a huge crush on her. Koon and Kit reserved their comments. I bet they liked her too. Men are all the same. All of them go for looks, personality is secondary. How shallow.

I reminded the Monk that BB actually did consider going steady with him if it’s not for his lack of testerones hormones. He was not so man-ish then.

BB is now married with a two year old daughter. Her husband is her childhood friend, who was also my classmate.

And, last but not least, they spoke fondly of Lai Ma, a plump girl with the biggest set of bosoms in school. The boys really enjoyed PE classes. Whenever there’s jumping, skipping or doing laps in the field, the boys would squat under the trees and watch from afar, the milky, dreamy set of melons swinging in action, which would put the opening trailer of Baywatch to shame.

Lai Ma, is now a very successful tuition teacher (despite getting a Grade 2 cert for SPM – and it is NOT due to no credit in BM), drives an Altis, has a boyfriend who is tall and huge – according to Koon and Kit. Must be those set of enticing bosom. ( Or I am just green with envy?)

And Lai Ma also had a HUGE crush on the Monk.

The Monk cringed at the thought that the girls that he attracted were all horizontally challenged. He liken himself to Adam Cheng. (A Hong Kong struggling actor (then)who piggy backed on his famous yet fat wife, Lydia Shum to fame). I was slightly offended.

Talking about old times is sure fun. It brings you down the memory of innocent adolescence. We did not have the luxury of mobile phones, internet, PS II, etc, then.

Despite all these, the very memories of our simple youth would forever remain a good keepsake in our hearts.

Comments

Backup comments said…
Interesting supper gang you have there.
Ann | 09.18.04 – 11:24 pm | #

Pls join us one fine day lah, Ann.

I must neutral the effect of Mr Curly in this group. He is a male chauvinist.
Gina | Homepage | 09.18.04 – 11:43 pm | #

Gina..actually the tradition of mooncake is…bf are supposed to buy their gf and gf family mooncakes and not other way around…
ahlian | 09.19.04 – 2:23 am | #

My brother’s gf also bought for my family. You memang ahlian lah. Hahaha.

Since all women are now pro-feminism, there is no such thing as traditions.

For your info, as much as I wish that the Monk is my bf, it will never happen, be it this life or next or so on and so forth. Maybe in our past lives, I treated him like shit/ sex slave / ah sei etc, that till this life, he has not forgiven me for what I have done. Retribution?

I am content enough to be a good friend of his.
Gina | Homepage | 09.19.04 – 3:45 am | #
Backup comments said…
Gina…yeah..my relatives (cousins) always boast about their bfs giving flower bookay,mooncakes,yin woh etc etc…u know relatives..they likes boast about who bf have more moneys…and that their bfs study overseas and things like this…
ahlian | 09.19.04 – 2:24 pm | #

Ahlian, usual lah. Chinese like to boast about their own sons or daughters etc etc.

One piece of advice: Don’t give a flying fuck.

Let them boast whatever they want. No point dwelling on all material things. They are all impermanent. Flowers will wilt, mooncakes will be eaten by moss, and bird nest – it is not even scientifically proven it’s nutritious. Imagine eating a bird’s saliva??

As long as you know your man/ woman is nice to you, today, tomorrow and the day after.. it would suffice. Cherish the person, not the gifts.
Gina | Homepage | 09.20.04 – 1:12 am | #

bird’s nest freaks me out. its saliva lah… how to eat? ugh. anyways, there’s tiramisu flavoured mooncake? what the heck am i still eating the lotus paste ones for? darn it.
CC | 09.20.04 – 10:27 am | #

Gina…u cant said that unless you want stay alone and never met any relatives…or vanish from your family…

because when everyone have rich husband and not you is going to HIT you real hard….because when ppl enjoying life and u worked 10am-10pm till your old and still you cant get rich and still need to grow old and die as poor woman….

u know, my relatives, they think that going overseas to study or having bf that study overseas is big deal like nobody can have them….
ahlian | 09.20.04 – 2:15 pm | #

CC: Explore the extraordinary. You will never know what you will find.

AhLian: What is the point of meeting such pain-in-the-ass relatives? Fortunately, my family is a small and close knit one, so I am spared from the agony of scrutiny.

I agree that it is a sad case to work all your life and yet remain poor. Work smart, not hard. I hope to retire by 40.

Like I say, Ah Lian – Don’t give a fuck!

Enough said.
Gina | Homepage | 09.20.04 – 10:18 pm | #

I just love reading comments!!
Ann | 09.22.04 – 12:10 am | #

Popular Posts