CRASH BOOM BANG

Damn fucked up day.

I was involved in a freak accident this morning. I was at the traffic lights at the Kepong-Selayang bypass, when the police traffic on duty gave us the sign to go. I was following a white Nissan slowly and making a right turn. Out of a sudden, I saw things flying in the air. I was shocked and stepped on the brakes. But it was too late. I hit the Nissan on its rear.

I was furious because of the emergency brake and then stepped out of the car. To my horror, there was a motorcyclist lying in a pool of his own blood. We parked our cars at the side of the road and realized there were 6 vehicles involved in the piled up. One jeep, two cars and three motorcycles. And my car was the 6th vehicle.

I learnt that the motorcyclist hit the Mitsubishi Jeep and then, skidded and glided on the slippery road. The other two motorcyclists avoided the motorcyclist who fell in front of them and they too, skidded and glided to the road side.

It was a lucky thing that the white Nissan did not go fast, or else, it would go over the motorcyclist who was already on the road. It was drizzling, hence contribute to the wet and slippery road. And thank God, that the Nissan did not hit the Mitsubishi.

A pick up stopped and lent a helping hand. A group of people helped to carry the injured man in his early 20s into the back of the pick up and he was sent to Selayang Hospital.

The first person I called was Ed. Silly me. Shouldn’t have made him worry. Actually I should call my insurance agent first! I told Ed about the accident and asked him not to worry. And then I called my insurance boss, Ms Ng. In less than 15 minutes, the tow truck came to tow away my car, and Tambi, the tow truck driver took me to the police station.

As we passed by the police compound, we saw a few vehicles crashed beyond recognition and Tambi told me, all these were being cut open by the Fireman and usually, the drivers would have passed on. I could still see blood stains on the seats. It was a gruesome sight.

Then, while waiting for Tambi’s boss to come, I packed my stuffs in a box and offered Tambi a candy. Yes – I remained calm and cool. Ah Ping, a man with slit eyes and small mouth, came and took me into to the police station to file a report.

When I was there, the 4 people involved in the accident were still waiting for their turns to lodge a police report. It was then, the phone rang.

Officer #1: Yeah? Ah? Yeah.

Hang up the phone.

Officer #1: Itu budak sudah meninggal. (Malay: The kiddo died)

I was shocked. Nobody seemed to have heard him as they were busy trying to lodge a police report.

I asked Ah Ping, “The boy died??”

Ah Ping said he didn’t hear. Everyone was so busy making a police report while I made mine as well.

I was impressed that the police station now is equipped with flat screen computers. I thought I would have to make report next to a clerk typing away on a typewriter. In less than 10 minutes, my report is out. With no fuss.

Then, I was sent to the waiting room to make another report. I just don’t understand the system but anyhow, it was good to have Ah Ping with me.

The whole group of 5 people involved in the accident was there, and it was then, Ah Ping came in and told them, the boy died. Everyone was shocked. Then the stories were repeated again and again – like a broken record.

I bumped into an ex colleague in the police station. He was also involved in an accident somewhere near Templer’s Park. What a coincidence. Shit. I really cannot owe people money, even in the police station, I tend to bump into somebody that I know. Sigh.

Ah Ping brought me into the inspector’s room immediately. The Inspector, who had a bad flu, asked me what’s my father’s name. I really don’t understand the relevance of my father’s name to this case, but I gave it to him anyway.

In less than 1 hour, I was out from the police station. Thanks to Ah Ping for knowing the ropes in the police station well. I guess it is good to have a person who knows what he is doing.

My chest hit the steering wheel and now I am in a bit of pain. Imagine if I don't use the seat belt.

I thank God that even though my Kenari is crashed beyond recognition on the front, I am still in one piece.

I would be going without wheels for 2 weeks as the damage was quite substantial.. (Hint: This is a good time to date me for dinner and send me home (my home, that is!) - Heh)

The next thing I did after lodging a police report was to go back to my class – I took 4 days leave since last Thursday to attend Financial Planning Course in my insurance training centre. But I was in no mood to even listen to the course.

Thank goodness I have a bunch of friends who would gimme a lift to the training centre tomorrow.. and to work on Wednesday. Thanks, Ann.

Tips to adhere to when you are involved in an accident:

1. Don’t panic.
2. Park your car to the side and put on emergency double signal.
3. Make sure you have your tow truck number at hand or insurance agent’s number/ be a member of AAM.
4. If people approach you to tow your car, etc, ignore him. Only trust your own tow truckers.
5. Take down vehicles number plates. This round, I took 5 numbers!
6. Put a box in your car to pack your things in case of emergency. I have a box behind, not for this purpose, though. But it comes in handy. (Fuck. I remember I left my favorite Norah Jones' CD in the stereo!!)
7. It is good to know the right people – they could help in times of distress. I am glad I came to know my insurance boss personally.
8. It is good to have photocopies of Insurance policy car cover note, vehicle registration card, HP Agreement, Driver's/Owner's driving license and IC handy - keep in an envelop so when shit happens, you don't have to search high and low for it.

As for the motorcyclist who passed away, I hope his soul rest in peace and he had bought enough insurance to help his dependents to survive on.

Let this serve as a reminder to us to be careful on the road, and not to even think that we are invincible. Accidents happen when you least expected it.

Comments

Backup comments said…
I’m glad that you’re alright. And I’m sorry to know about the accident, so sorry for the casualty …

Take care, Gina. I hope you’ll be able to get back your car soon. And of course, hopefully someone will ask you out and offer you as your private driver, soon.
greenapple | Homepage | 10.03.05 – 9:57 pm | #

gina, sorry to hear that. hope all is well with u. may all the merits that u hv gained be showered upon u.

sorry to hear that the kid was killed 2. may he rest in peace.

perhaps yr ‘smooth fren’ can eventually date u out? hehe.
keatix | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 12:15 am | #

im glad you’re alright. poor kid though. sigh
kimberlycun | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 12:26 am | #

gosh! thank God you’re okay. better make sure the chest pain is nothing serious.
yuin | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 12:52 am | #
Backup comments said…
Gina, Sorry about Kenari, it seems she has to be ‘warded’ for two weeks!

You are sound and safe, that’s more important…..

I got into a car accident a few months ago,and the first thing i did was to call my folks! BUt, I have made too many reports at the Jalan Bandar station that I know the inside-out of the police station, I think, I should be given a regular discount…..

Gina, you are funny… Despite your predicament, you can still joke! You still wanna date me? a confused guy like me? No prob on dinner or sending you back? … ‘gay’ guys are always very nice guys… (not that I am gay, LOL)

Hey, I have an extra car at home… geez, i am already used to getting into accidents… that;s why, I still have my trusted old car… in case of emergencies like this
Kitjar Sukjaidee | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 6:22 am | #

Aiyoyo, what a day eh, good to know that you’re ok. Guess you’re cool under pressure eh, good work. It is good to have ppl to assist you, like the Ah Ping chap. It helps that you’re in the insurance business?

Got my car rear ended a year ago cause some fool two cars back did not know how to use the brakes. Lucky got off on minor damage and got back the car in four days time w/o any insurance claim….I took photos of the cars with my phone and took a video of the scene. Called AAM for my tow.

Btw, in wet conditions, the max controllable speed is 60km/h, beyond that, no amount of driver’s input can avoid a crash….even in a Mercedes or BMW. Remember…we are not train to crash or to avoid one. Cheers!
cameljoe | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 10:15 am | #

glad you are alright, safe & sound plus in good hands.

prayers for the kiddo . .
blogathought | 10.04.05 – 11:11 am | #
Backup comments said…
my dear

i am so thankful to Him that you are doing okay.

all the road users has family and home to go back to every evening. may all of us drive carefully so that we can all make it home safely every night

peace,
e
Ed | 10.04.05 – 12:31 pm | #

Gina!THANK GOD ur ok..yea sorry le pada that guy yg meninggal tu
izzy | 10.04.05 – 2:34 pm | #

sorry to hear about ur accident. better go for a health check as internal injuries is not visible. take care
char siew bro | 10.04.05 – 8:23 pm | #

Dear all,

Not bad today. Got chauffered around in Nissan X Trail!

Hah. Yeah. Let’s hope Mr Smooth would date me.

Thanks for your concern. I really dunno what happened to the kid’s family now. Poor thing.

As for the chest pains, it had subsided. I went to class like normal today and would resume going to work tomorrow.. sigh.. have to put my gym on hold for two weeks. @#$%^&*

Eh.. I was just doing a 30 km/h on the road as it was raining but, the brakes didn’t work coz it was too slippery.

Thank you again, for your concern.
Gina | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 9:07 pm | #

Ha ha ha.. brother admitted he is a char siew. Ha ha ha.
Gina | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 9:08 pm | #

Oh dear. Glad to hear that you are all right though. Take care there.
Kat | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 10:37 pm | #

Just wondering, who is this Mr Smooth ler…… you think he can be gay….. ha ha hee hee….
Ok lor, i think i should not be joking too much……
Kitjar Sukjaidee | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 11:00 pm | #

alamak.. 3rd time i am reading your blog get this post… hope all is well.. i would add to your list to have a disposable camera (unless you have good phone cam) in the car as well, and take a photo of the accident scene, especially damage to the car(s).
rijac | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 11:56 pm | #

Poor thing you; it’s never nice to be involved in an accident; worse still a pile up. My last accident happened when an impatient air-con mechanic crashed his van into my back, redesigning the shape of my bumper. Although he acknowledged it was his fault, it took him all of 8 months to pay me RM150, nothing more.
fishtail | Homepage | 10.04.05 – 11:57 pm | #

RULE No. 1 on the road : Always avoid an accident, if you can’t then go for flower shower. Another things to observe these day is to keep a digital camera or ppc or phone with camera handy. Snap the accident areas and cars on the spot if you are involve in some argueable situation even if you are at fault. Most malaysians are hardly responsible for their road accident and want to get out of it. So snap some pictures on accidents spot and print it out. The Horatio-wannabe-officer might want want to go bk to “crime scene”. Those pictures will help both parties a lot. Ages since u got an accident..
Tan Kien Boon | 10.05.05 – 3:02 pm | #

Miss G! Hope you feel better. Not a great way to start off this month, but hey at least be thankful that you are alright and still blogging.
Also may I suggest that you go for thorough medical checkup just to be sure that you are A-O-K.
humblewarrior | Homepage | 10.06.05 – 12:41 am | #

Hello,

I am alright. yeah.. will do some medical check up this weekend to see if I am okay.

A friend of mine asked me if I have breathing difficulties. Ha ha ha. I said, if I do, I won’t be talking to her right now.

My digital camera was with my sister then.. sigh.. else, you guys would have a post with bloodied pictures and wrecked cars. Kidding. I doubt I would want to take pics of the pool of blood. God bless his soul.

I have a pic of my wrecked car in my phone though.

Thanks for your concern. Thank you.
Gina | Homepage | 10.06.05 – 2:07 am | #

found out about your accident from pauline over the weekend. sorry to hear about this but thank god you are alright.
victoria | 10.11.05 – 2:01 pm | #

Popular Posts