DANCING QUEEN

I didn’t know I could dance, till I joined the body jam class in the gym.

Then I recalled, in my younger days, when I was not that fat, I took part in numerous dances coordinated by the teachers in school till I was about 10 years old. After gaining excessive weight, I switched to playing xylophone for the school band instead.

Ha Li Shan Dancers

Indian Dance

Hawaian Dance

Little Dolly Dance

I recalled fondly of a play in school where I was initially chosen for P. Ramlee role (due to my size) in the “Aci Aci Buka Pintu” musical. After casting test, Puan Wan Teh – my favorite teacher, decided that I ought to be the “hantu jembalang” (Malay: Ghosts) instead, as I lack in charisma to be P. Ramlee. (P. Ramlee is legendary! He was and forever will be my ONE AND ONLY favorite Malay actor this lifetime).

Playing a hantu proved far more fun and successful compare to P. Ramlee. We became instant stars in school. Being a hantu, we could hide our face in our masks and we get to run here and there, and act like... err.. real hantus.

The cast of Aci Aci Buka Pintu

Nobody would believe it if I tell them; I was once a gymnast. Yes. When I was 10, I was chosen to represent the District of Larut, Matang and Selama. I chickened out of it because of my unsightly bulges. I had to wear a tight fitting leotard bearing the colors of Perak flag – white, black and yellow. I was a shy kid then, and very very self conscious. Too bad no pictures were taken. (shy)

I guess if I had continued the gymnastic classes and represent my state, I won’t be this large today. Sigh.

So, encourage your children that looks don’t matter when it comes to sports. You are chosen not because of how you look like; it still boils down to your skills and capabilities. Just give your best and you will succeed.

P.S. Maybe I should consider taking up a dance class as exercise instead of going to the gym... how about salsa? I just got a new CD - Guitarra Espanola..

Comments

Backup comments said…
Wah, leng lui’s galore!
fishtail | Homepage | 08.08.05 – 12:51 am | #

can’t agree more with you. adults should never ever put down a kid, the damage inflicted is beyond that moment when the remark was made. i had bulimia for 4 years thanks to those fuckers. good luck with your endeavour! *hugs*
kimberlycun | Homepage | 08.08.05 – 7:06 am | #

i also can’t understand why some adults must put down kids. as if kids have no feelings / cannot understand what them adults are saying.

that’s really mean.
lynnee | Homepage | 08.08.05 – 12:27 pm | #

Gravatar fishtail: Not so leng lui now, unfortunately!

Kim: Didn’t know you had bullimia. My sis was an anorexic. That is why I totally cannot understand why people would put other people to this stage.. kinda sad. We just have to learn to love ourselves the way we are, and when we don’t, we just need to improvise. Not to the extent to please others, but for us to feel good and healthy. I am glad you pulled thru it! *hugs*

lynnee: No no.. my parents didn’t put me down. Just that I felt shy about myself – obviously stigmatised by society. Some parents just need to be taught not to teach their children adjectives like FAT, BIG, SKINNY, UGLY, POOR, etc.
Gina | Homepage | 08.10.05 – 1:00 am | #

Popular Posts