THE CANTEEN ROOM

If you notice, I haven’t been going for Fei Chai trips and also pigging out on food – meaning I am STILL sticking to my strict diet plan. I deserve a nice and warm friendly pat on the back of my shoulders now..

But not for long..

There are gonna be some major makan this month – friends’ birthdays, trips (yes – I am excited too!) and mooncakes!

Since I haven’t been blogging about food, I might have deprived my fellow gluttons from knowing some of the best spots in KL for some really good solid calorie laden food and would soon disqualified myself from being a fellow foodie as categorized by the gorgeous Ms Kimberly in her blog.

A friend came over to see me for lunch two weeks ago and I took him to this modest caféteria, the Canteen Room, in Menara HB, next to Megan Avenue II, in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng.

The restaurant’s name might sound a bit unappetizing but do not be turned off by the name. It is the food it serves that counts.

In between stuffing his face with the signature dish, Nasi Indo-Siam, he said, “Goodness gracious! This is delicious! You must blog this!”

If I put on weight – blame him.

Signature Dish - Nasi Indo-Siam

Priced at RM9.90, it comes with a deep fried super crispy ikan kembong, stirred fried ladies finger, three (sometimes two) pieces of pandan leaf fried chicken and a special made sauce; consisting chopped onions, cili padi and thick soy sauce; which delightfully enhance the taste of the ala carte.

A bit pricey for a regular office lunch hour meal; but it is worth every penny. Ann and I made it a point to go to this café maximum twice a month; considering it is somewhat a luxurious lunch. Usually, I would go there more than twice a month – with other colleagues and friends.

My favorite drink at this café is the raspberry latte (RM5.90), a blend of raspberry syrup and coffee. Yum yum.

They have other signature dishes in their menu – I could say 99% of the food here are nice. Some who came here claimed that their assam laksa (RM6.90) kick ass; some like the nasi lemak (RM7.90), some like the deep fried chicken (similar to nasi bojari in Madam Kwan’s – but half the price – RM8.90); I enjoy the fried rice with fried egg (pic left - RM7.00) rolled chee cheong fan (pic below - RM4) and yam cake (RM4) as well.

They also serve cakes from La Manila for the sweet tooth.

And to top it, the owner of the café is a partnership between a nice lady and a young cute looking chap. Of course, I go there for the food. I don’t know about Ann, though. Ha ha!

Comments

Backup comments said…
Pat on the back for you, Gina!
Ah… although not a fei chai trip, but this little dose of food commentary is just as good!
Toxic | 08.24.05 – 4:51 am | #

Hey… I go there for the food too….
Ann | 08.24.05 – 1:45 pm | #

Toxic: I tried! Ha Ha! Well, it is hard to be on diet when you are born a glutton!

Ann: I know. Saja teasing you. He He.
Gina | Homepage | 08.24.05 – 10:31 pm | #

aiyoh…i miss malaysian food…
ryuu | Homepage | 08.25.05 – 12:43 am | #

hi and wow. must try that on my trip to Kl next week.
chef4u2play | 08.25.05 – 12:49 am | #

aiyo the food look very salivating…we must go one day ah???

thanks for sharing..Canteen Room…sounds humble n down to earth…i like

peace
e
ed | 08.25.05 – 1:38 am | #

Yummy! Thanks for the recommendation.My streamyx is up and running…finally..at Selayang…heehee
Tan Kien Boon | 08.25.05 – 11:34 am | #

*wipes drool off sides of mouth*
yuin | 08.25.05 – 6:29 pm | #

Popular Posts