ANCIENT HOBBY


Stamps

I asked Sekinchan Boy where to get stamp albums. He looked shock for a minute and then laughed mockingly in my face.

I know. Many may not even remember that such hobby still exists.

Since I was idling away last weekend, it would be best if I do some spring-cleaning of my old stuffs. I have been delaying my purchase of a new stamp album for the stamps that I kept in envelopes throughout my years of writing letters. During THOSE days before the internet, I used to receive an impressive 200 – 300 letters per annum.

I kept most of them, but somehow over the years, moth and bookworms had eaten into them and I reluctantly threw them away.

When I was back in primary school, we used to bring our collection albums – be it stamps, coins, first day covers, dried flowers and leaves, etc for show offs in school. Children will always be children.

I think nobody in school beat my record as yet – as I have stamps aging over 40 years in this album, belonging to my dead uncle, who collected them when he was a young boy.


Dead Uncle's Album


Inside DU's Album

Today, I think they are about 60 years old. Hhmph.. wonder if they would worth a fortune.

I particularly like overseas stamps especially during Christmas. They are indeed nice and colorful.


Don't you love everything Christmas?


Merry Christmas

England postage design did not change much over the years. They still hail the queen with the stamps.


Hail the Queen!

Please tell me that, there is someone out there still collect stamps. Am I entertaining myself with an obsolete hobby?


Comments

Backup comments said…
You’re not alone. I collect stamps as a ‘part-time hobby’, whatever that means. The satellite dish stamp is nice.
NSDS3 | Homepage | 06.16.05 – 12:52 am | #

obsolete?..nah..my little sister still collects them.
yuin | 06.16.05 – 1:06 am | #

I’m a new reader of your blog. U did a great job there n 2 thumbs up for the creative effort. Keep blogging…

Ray
http://www.ray7nyc.blogspot.com/
Raymond | Homepage | 06.16.05 – 6:31 am | #
Backup comments said…
stumbled upon your blog sometime ago…have to say preety good stuff, girl!
stamps…eeerrrr…maybe peepz from the old skool still do collect ‘em…think my dad has a collection!
Paradoxx | Homepage | 06.16.05 – 2:20 pm | #

I inherited my dads stamp collection – I have the same old stamps ur Dus album has – and have the same queens stamp )

I still have 5 albums – though finding a stamp is so rare now
visithra | Homepage | 06.16.05 – 6:30 pm | #

hmmm, now i have to search for my stamp albums, wonder where it is now?

probably one day we could meet up to exchange or view the stamps

anyone here collect coins / currency notes?
VJ | 06.16.05 – 9:17 pm | #

NSDS3: Yes – most of them are really nice. And hey, I have just visited your hometown – Kuching!

Yuin: Thought this hobby is for old farts like daddies or grand daddies? heheh.

Thanks Ray! Do drop by again! I will check out yours too!

Paradoxx: Thanks for reminding me that i am OLD!

visithra: Probably we can start writing to each other the authentic way? Heheh.

VJ: Yes, sure! Leave your number in my e-mail.
Gina | Homepage | 06.17.05 – 12:40 am | #
Backup comments said…
VJ, I have *very few* coins in my collection, but the most prized is an 1896 Sarawak coin.

Hehe Gina, how was the prahu (NOT sampan!) ride?
NSDS3 | Homepage | 06.17.05 – 1:32 am | #

hmmm.you’re probably right..grandaddies OR very very young people. not many oldER people indulge in stamps anymore.
yuin | 06.17.05 – 4:29 pm | #

NSDS3: Prahu ah?? heheh. No wonder they charge us extra.. for calling the wrong names for their boats.

Yuin: Yup.. keen observation.
Gina | Homepage | 06.18.05 – 3:10 am | #

Do you notice that the Modern Stamps have this charactistic of Glowing in the Dark? Try putting them under the light for about one minute, then get yourself into a dark room. You’ll find the stamps glow in faint green. Only happens on modern stamps. =) Try It!
Caff | 06.20.05 – 1:40 pm | #

Caff: Thanks for the tip!!
Gina | Homepage | 07.08.05 – 10:06 pm | #

Popular Posts