IN AWE OF LIFE

Life & Death

YS was my college buddy when we took A levels together at TAR College. Even though, it was only a 2 year friendship, she left for Perth to pursue Pharmacy while I was stuck here, doing some shitty business course, we still keep in touch throughout the years. It was quite amazing to see the transitions and transformation in the lives of your dear friends.

From: YS
To: Gina
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:57:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What I’ve learned...

30 weeks from now, I will be a mother. I have opted for natural birth but am now very scared. Check up here (Australia) is free if it is done by midwives in hospital, just the usual routinous BP/urine/glucose/bb heart rate and size of my tummy.

Maternity class is also free, they mainly push for breast feeding, says it is good for my uterus to contract back to its original size and shape and bb's health, but my breasts will be ugly and pulled by gravity, hehehe..yucky thought...

Here they encourage natural birth unless bb position is wrong, dad can come in to be the supporter, a lot of video tapes I saw is the mum and dad both naked so when the bb come they will have first hours skin to skin contact with parents...they won't do the cleaning/weighing and cord cutting first, instead will put the messy bb in your arm right after it came out (while waiting for placenta to drop out) so the bb can feel mum's bosoms and dad's chest first thing... the funny part when I told my mum this, she said, "why you don't have money to hire a nurse to clean up meh?"...ahahah...we also got water birth, give birth in bath tub...the warm water is natural pain killer for mum....but my mum was saying: "how can? U are not suppose to touch water..."

Francis is worried that I cannot stand the pain (I choose not to use pain killer if possible) and he says maybe go for cesarean. He also worry cannot take the yelling/bloody scene...but I think if we can go through this together, it will be good for our relationship, and I think it will be a good experience for me as a human being....

Nurse tried to make me feel better about not working by saying bb grow very fast, it's a good thing I choose to be with them while they need me most...see how long I could bear staying home before going for day care..

80% is girl...having back pain now so very tired all the time...my parents coming in June to see the bb....

Hope my story wouldn't scared/bored u....and hope I can survive....hehehe....
********************************************************************

On the other hand, Sugar’s husband’s best friend in Bintulu, Sarawak, passed away unexpectedly at a very young age of 34. That spurred me to churn a well-meaning e-mail to my good friends, urging them to take care of themselves.

From: Gina
To: Friends
Subject: In Awe of Life
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:20:38 +0800

My boss' husband's best friend, passed away at the age of 34 this morning, following a heart attack, leaving behind a wife and 3 young daughters.

He was just at the height of career and bought a new car. The chums and buddies just met up during the recent Chinese New Year and everyone looked fabulous. Everything was rosy and no one would think this would ever happen to any one of them. It would be the same, every year, meeting up other old chums at this friend's house.

He was overweight, due to too much good food, entertainment, friends and lack of exercise.

It is important to take care of one's health.

With the alarming increase of heart attacks among people as young as 20s to 30s, I guess we need to check our own lifestyle and health.

Desk bound job, long working hours, fatigue, stress, eating out,etc are synonymous with our unhealthy lifestyle.

Procrastination is the worst factor.

"Oh.. this will be the last time I am eating this oily food. I can't resist it. One last bite, then I will embark on healthy eating".

"Oh.. I will go to the gym... tomorrow..."

"Oh.. I will quit smoking... tomorrow..."

"Oh, I will get a health insurance..as soon as I settle this credit card debt..."

"I will write a will once everything is settled..."

Death doesn't care whether have you finish doing what you supposed to be doing or, have you repay your debts, or have you lived your life to the fullest. It doesn't care. When it's time, it's time.

Check and adjust for a better lifestyle. Not only health.

Have you said sorry to someone you have hurt yesterday?

Have you tell/show your parents/husband/wife/best friends how much you love and care for them?

Do today what can be done today and do not offset it till tomorrow for tomorrow may not come.

Live today as if it were your last day on earth.

In awe on how this life is going,
Gina

This life unceasingly amazes me. Even if I still don’t understand the purpose of this life, I better not let it slip by without doing anything about it.

Comments

Backup comments said…
I agree with your sentiments there Gina. My one and only sister passed away 7 years ago, she was only 30. Likewise, she too was very young and overweight. She left behind her husband and two boys 3yo & 4yo(then) and of course the family.

Since then my family has been practicing a healthy lifestyle. Eating right and what not. I am not ashamed to admit that I used to procrastinate…ALOT. Until last year when I decided to put my procrastination habits aside and actually went to sign up for yoga class. Although I skip classes occassionally (due to work hours) I always tell myself I must go no matter what.

Remember:
To insure good health, Eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.
vynie | Homepage | 04.02.05 – 6:00 pm | #

Vynie: So sorry about your loss. Hope things been going alright for ya.
Gina | Homepage | 04.02.05 – 8:12 pm | #
Backup comments said…
After coming back from a treacherous climbing activity, I realised that anything is possible…

We have to cherish every moment in our life especially when health is concern. Mum just remind me how to be careful with our diet etc. and death recognise no one…

I’ve decided to maintain my exercise regime once a week with my parents… Swimming lesson coming soon…. too…

Vynie, glad you practice a good lifestyle… keep up the good spirit…

Gina, no worries, practise what you preached… and always stay happy. Being happy will ultimately changed our lifestyle…
WY | 04.02.05 – 11:37 pm | #

Life is really uncertain. So we must cherish our life and live life to the fullest!
Ann | 04.03.05 – 12:45 pm | #

Love Gustav Klimt…he’s my fav artist (painting that is)…I have his work all over my living room walls…glad I stopped by..later
Slade | Homepage | 04.04.05 – 10:08 am | #

Yes WY. Glad you made it to the top of Kinabalu. Too bad I didn’t join you to blog about it.

Ann: Yes, life is short. Make it sweet.

Slade: Thank you for the name of the artist. I found this pic appropriate for this post – intertwined between life and death.
Gina | Homepage | 04.04.05 – 10:07 pm | #

Popular Posts