NO MAN'S AN ISLAND


Lonely Girl On The Bench

If you have watched the movie, About a Boy, starring Hugh Grant, Rachel Weiss, you should know the feeling of being lonely by now. (I watched it 7x)

Will is a 38-year-old man, who has the least care in the entire world. He doesn’t work as he is living off his dead father’s royalty on a one hit wonder Christmas song. The last thing he wanted is to make his world revolve around another person or vice versa.

He has a simple concept about life. Everyone’s life is like a TV show and everybody is in charge of their own show. If the popularity of their show is dwindling, the owner of the TV Show ought to do something about it. If it doesn’t work, then it is just too bad. You just have to pack up and moved on.

Till he finally met Rachel.

I just couldn’t understand this. Can the power of love change someone’s way of life? Altering principles and beliefs he/she hold onto dearly for life?

Love has always been a powerful force that has driven mankind to brink of madness for many, many centuries.

I am an atheist when it comes to love. It is not that I don’t believe in love. I am afraid of love.

I always ingrain in my mind and heart, that it is unnecessary to find great love as advocated by Charlotte in Sex and the City, or Florentino’s undying love for Femina in Love in the Time of Cholera or Romeo and Juliet’s love for each other, etc.

But, I would be a godamn liar if I claim not in need of love. Nuns, priests, monks…. I am sure there is/was some point in life when they would at least think of being in love.

When I saw my colleague, the 40-year-old spinster, in the pantry this morning, with her mug which says, Keep your paws off my mug”, I somehow felt a tinge of sadness for her. Feeling sorry. Pity.

I noticed she has strong vibes of “Keep Off” warning radiated from her entire being. She has a tag which says, “Keep your distance” in her car. I just couldn’t help but wonder. Did she ever had the chance to profess love? Or has she ever rejected a love in her life?

I tried to talk to her sometimes, which proved to be very difficult as the only topics she is capable to talk about is how rude Malaysians’ drivers are and her incessant complaints about how badly the Aborigines are being treated in Australia. The two topics are totally irrelevant to each other, I know. We would start by talking about work and ended up talking about the Aborigines… all the time. That is why I hardly talk to her.

Sorry.

I am writing this after being hit by the lonely bug. It usually hit me in the middle of the night when the entire house is quiet. And it usually happens once a year, tragically always during my birthdays.

But today, it hit me while I was idling in the office. This is a bad sign. I hope I could snap out of it soon.

Somehow, I have come to accept this. There is still a hope to find ordinary love, if not great love.
Related Sadistic Posts:

What is Life? , To or not to Pro-Create, Solitude

Comments

Backup comments said…
Well there are people that can never find happiness other than in solitude. It’s their choice and what can we say about that, if they want to spend their entire life alone, be my guest. Who knows they enjoy that situation better?
Kervin | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:53 am | #

I was thinking of that movie when I read the title Hahahah. Don’t worry about being alone. It’s better to be alone than to be with someone that doesn’t truly love you, kan.
BawangMerah | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 10:21 am | #

well about a boy is a must watch movie. very meaningful movie which i think will change certain guys’ mindset. talk about alone in having coffee or eating alone is not a matter of “kesian” or “so cham”. ever watched this sex and the city carrie said that every person have their own private time evethough you have married and stay together. i forget which episode and frankly i enjoy being alone for certain time cos feel like more relax without to think what topic should we talk or remain silent like kinda anti-social etc. so who care when you are enjoying being alone having a cuppa coffee? but i cant deny that no man’s an island. life is just so incomplete like hugh grant in that movie.
bruce | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 10:46 am | #

I agree with Ryuu. Although I am married, I go for shopping sprees, movies and dinners alone. Even during our courtship days. People would whisper, point and end up giving me sympathetic looks.

Gina, enjoy your own company while you can, coz soon you will have 3 kids in tow and won’t remember what ‘alone’ means.
mdmafia | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 11:29 am | #

that scares me mafia.
femme | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 1:22 pm | #

“You don’t have to touch it to know
Love is everywhere you go
You don’t have to touch it to feel
Love is every second we steal

Love is love is nothing without you
Love is love is everything you do
Open up your eyes
And you will see
Love is love is everything to me”

Spinsters often loves themselves too much to be bothered to love another.

People choose to be what they want in the end, whether to be happy or worthwhile . . married or single has it’s pros & cons, joy & sorrow

People accepted, accepted . . that’s life . .

After all, it’s what makes a person HUMAN

*grin & smiling*
Paul | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 2:33 pm | #

There’s always hope for as long as one believes in hope itself

Cheers!!! :D
hyelbaine | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 3:31 pm | #
Backup comments said…
I always feel weird when eating alone in the cafeteria. Feels like i need another person to be with me when i eat in these places. But sometimes i like to eat alone especially after today where my lunch partner talked about his college syllabus ,May 13,insulin injection, share market, electric meter…
Maran | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 4:05 pm | #

I guess sometimes English is inadequate. Yes, we all need love, but there are different kinds of love. The Greeks had 4 different words for ‘love’:

. philia: affection or platonic love, friendship
. storge: love between family members (eg. parents & children)
. eros: romantic love or passion
. agape: unconditional, selfless love

While those of us who are single might not be loved with an eros love, we certainly would have people in our lives who love us with the philia & storge kinda love…
irene | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:09 pm | #

Keith: Sorry to hear that. That fat c*nt didn’t know she was missing then. Life goes on. You are cute!

Ryuu: I watch movies alone at times. I don’t see the fuss about watching it alone.

Kervin: I believe so. The Monk is one of them.

Bawang Merah: That is the whole thing. Menyusahkan. Love fades. But at least we tried.

Bruce: At times, I enjoy being alone. Human are social animals. I think most people do not enjoy being alone. They are just used to being alone.. hence, psychologically, they think they like being alone.
Gina | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:16 pm | #

Madam: Salute. Your wrist is ok already? Doc gives you the permission to type? Hehe. Yeah. I am enjoying my freedom as much as I can now.. remember.. I have another booze party this weekend!

Femme: Love your blog. Life is scary. You have to choose the right partner to brave it with you. Good luck.

Paul: Ahh… that is very romantic.

Baine: Hope is the perfect word of comfort for now.

Maran: Hahhaha. Nothing beats talking about Aborigines though. You should try to discuss that with your colleague some day.. if you are going to eat with him again.
Gina | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:16 pm | #
Backup comments said…
Irene: Yes, I have all of those except Eros. Had and have plenty of philia and storge!

Tried Eros before, and boy, it hurts.

Agape is reserved for the Monk.
Gina | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:19 pm | #

Ryuu: It is sad at times we had to conform to the standard of the society of not eating alone and stuffs like that..

To avoid being labelled as “kesian” or “so cham” from nosey ppl, I “ta pao” as the ultimate solution.

My perpetual lunch mate now is my current boss who cannot get enough of stories about my “flamboyant” life. Her mom is a strict disciplinarian. Now she is blissfully married with a kid… minus the whole battle of the sexes thing. Simple needs, simple life.
Gina | Homepage | 11.03.04 – 8:25 pm | #

Popular Posts