LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

Why is love so strange? Love in the time of Cholera is a bizarre yet, very romantic example, even more soulful if were to compare to the infamous Romeo and Juliet (in my humble opinion)

It was indeed a coincidence to bring this book to my trip as Plan B. I didn't know the story line till I accidently stumbled upon the highlight of the novel in the Star Newspapers, 17 August 2004, then decided to google to find out more:
".....Having sworn to love Fermina Daza forever, he settles in to wait for as long as he has to until she's free again. This turns out to be 51 years, 9 months and 4 days later, when suddenly, absurdly, on a Pentecost Sunday around 1930, Dr. Juvenal Urbino dies, chasing a parrot upon mango tree. After the funeral, when everyone else has left, Florentino steps forward with his hat over his heart "Fermina," he declares, "I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love....."
So.. meaning, I have another 38 years to go? Okay. If I live that long with my hypertension and possibly cholesterol problems. Tragic. Now I know why Kat bought me this book!

In a totally unrelated matter- Leo came to visit me out of the blue. I grumpily get the door, thinking it was the moronic parents of the babies we are baby sitting. Dumb founded, it was him.

The expected happened. He handed an invitation to his wedding reception personally. I am the first to receive.

I am happy for him, whole heartedly, and sincerely wish him all the happiness in the world.

Comments

Backup comments said…
lol. I bought you that book coz it’s good. I meant nothing else!!! :P

Anyway, the Satanic Verses is still with me. Bro didn’t bring it home. Will have to wait until I get home now.
Kat | Homepage | 08.20.04 – 2:21 am | #

Hey, need some more bizarre (definitely more bizarre than Love In The Time of Cholera), romantic (i think so), and soulful (for particular individuals) story? Check out MY LIFE, by Bill Clinton.
sugarbaby | 08.20.04 – 3:06 am | #

this Leo stuff… hmm.. somehow, after reading your story, i can say this : “i feel for you”. (means i share the sentiments)

very heart felt. either it’s the story, or the way u write it.

hmm.
ryuu | 08.20.04 – 7:02 pm | #

Thanks, Kat. It is better for you to bring it than your accident prone brother, anyway. Hehe. So, it was merely a coincidence.

Sugarbaby: I think Marquez left out the explicit details that were aired repeatedly on air like Bill’s story. Marquez should have sold his story earlier to make big budget English movie. Can’t wait!!

Thanks, Ryuu. Didn’t know I can touch someone’s heart thru my blogging. This is indeed more than a compliment. You just made my day, dude!
Gina | Homepage | 08.20.04 – 11:48 pm | #

Gina , hugs to you about Leo *hugg*
phoenix | 08.21.04 – 5:09 pm | #

Phoenix – I am cool about it. Thanks for the hugs though.
Gina | Homepage | 08.22.04 – 7:34 pm | #

Popular Posts