SOLITUDE

A friend, WY, asked to me join her to the MCA’s Cupid Club should we haven’t found our soulmates by age 28. I laughed at her proposal.

This year, both of us are turning 28, (heck! I turned 28 on V-day) and we are still very much single. I don’t know if I need someone as much as she does. Somehow, this week, out of the blue, when my whole family is asleep on a quiet and peaceful night, I was still frolicking with my lap top to update some data, a pang of loneliness suddenly swept across my soul. I feel like calling someone to talk to, yet it is already past mid night, and I don’t have anyone to disturb.

Sigh. Must one have somebody in order to feel less lonely? Must one date in order to join the crowd? Must one marry to avoid being labeled as “rejects” or “problematics”?

Then, a conversation with my date, Leo, some six years ago kept on repeating itself in my mind.

Leo: What would you be in five years’ time?

Me: Get a job that pays big bucks!!

Leo: How about having a family?

(Thinking to myself – heck! We are only in our second date and you are asking me this Question???)

Me:What family?

Leo: You know, having a husband and some kids.

Me: I don’t think I want to have a family.

Leo: You don’t like kids?

Me: Don’t get me wrong. I love kids. As long as they are not mine. Haha!

Leo: I think you are still so young, that is why this thing never occur to you. As a woman, you will want to have kids in the future. Believe me. (His male chauvinism oozing with this remark)

Me: I don’t think so. Nope. I won’t have kids in a million years. This world is not a nice world to live in! Pollution! Kidnapping! Wars! Disease! Call me a cynic! Coz this is what I am!

Leo: Ok ok.. talk about something else.

After the fifth date, he secured a job in Penang, and off he went. There, he met a girl who is willing to have kids with him in five years time.

I cried for months over him.

Comments

Backup comments said…
Hang in there, Gina!!
Irene | 03.22.04 – 7:46 pm | #

there is advantages of being single becos u can date anyone anytime and still not be controlled by anyone..hehe..
phoenix | 03.24.04 – 8:02 pm | #
Backup comments said…
somtimes having bf or husband is like having a boss that keep checking on u and u have to keep asking did he called incase ur late and worry he is checking on u..
phoenix | 03.24.04 – 8:04 pm | #

but i guess if u met somone like James, it is worth to give a try..hehehe..
phoenix | 03.24.04 – 8:05 pm | #

Gravatar James????? Hahahahhahha! I am not his type. :p

I am cool, Irene. Thanks!
Gina | Homepage | 03.25.04 – 11:18 am | #

Gravatar shit. u’re making me again
ryuu | Homepage | 04.07.04 – 6:49 pm | #

Gravatar Being single is fun. In fact, you can do whatever you want and not afraid of being reporting to another person, i.e. BF apart from our parents (in you live in with them). Apparently the feeling of loneliness sips in after awhile. I’ve been in a relationship (nothing to shout about) before. When you’re in love you are really in love till one point you feel like coming out of it (when the relationship is not working well). Once you became single again, you feel like you want to be with someone. I’ve been thru these ohases and now (for the time being) I love my single life….but joining CUPID club does not necessarily mean that you’re there looking for the ONE, my circle of fren is small so just wanna widen it….yeah lar tu…(Gina I know wat you’re thinking…)
Wai Ye | 06.02.04 – 3:33 pm | #

Gravatar Hahha.. ptui! As if i can read your mind. Anyway, who am I to judge you? You do whatevber you want WY. just dont hurt yourself.
Gina | Homepage | 06.03.04 – 12:14 am | #

Gravatar Ah, 28 is the age, when you are not too young and green anymore, and certainly not old either. When you reach 35, not being married is not a concern anymore; if it happens, it happens. After all, those who married, may not last or be totally happy with it. Some who are contented, may not have time and resources for adventures or leisurely travelling. 5:30 am wake up prepare breakfast and send kids to school, 8:00am-5:00pm work, 5:30 fetch kids from baby sitter and send for evening tuition, 7:00 pm prepare dinner for family, and by the time dishes are done, it’s bedtime already! So, just sit back, and take good care of yourself, okay?
Nik | 02.18.07 – 2:26 pm | #

Popular Posts