WHAT IS LIFE?

Yesterday night, after a long day, I sat down thinking (An idle mind is the devil’s workshop). I have this question which had been lingering in my head for as long as I can remember.

What is the meaning of life? Is it mere existence to sustain the human race? Why are we being born at the first place? Allow me to jog your memory on our human life cycle:

Baby (expensive maternity charges) ---> Growing stage (diapers, teething, toilet training) ---> Pre-School (get bruises from bicycle accidents, fishing in the drain without parent’s knowledge) ---> School (giving teachers hard time) ---> University (happy hour – you get to live on your own and participate in orgies) ---> Get a job (this is tricky) ---> Get a mate(s) (this is even trickier) ---> Have kids (ensure that good genes are being passed on) ---> Kids getting on your nerves (results from bad genes) ---> Grow Old (Wrinkles, osteoporosis, cholesterol, lack of sex drive) ---> Your kids go through the same cycle from Baby to Get a Mate (if you are lucky, these happened without much hitches) ---> Grow older (you might want to save some money to finance yourself throughout the stay at old folks home. Pray that you don’t live that long to see to this) ---> Die (cost you another RM25k at today’s present value – cremation, not buried. RM18,000 if you were being cremated in Taiping).

So, what is the point of living?

A friend once told me when we were like 13, we were born into this world to give love and get love. Is that it?

Forgive me for being such a wet blanket. Perhaps, I have yet to attain certain stages in the life cycle as I am STILL on the “Get a Job” stage (probably that explains my cynicism and depression).

If you spread out the newspaper today, you get to see all kinds of news, mostly bad ones, murder, incest, child abuse, robbery, war, abusing prisoners-of-war, etc. I know I should thank my lucky star of being born in Malaysia and not some war ridden countries.

Then, out of the blue (perhaps it’s fated), I came across last Sunday StarMag, which featured a person struggling to live beyond doctor’s expectation of his nose cancer. I was so touched by the article.

People here, they treasure life one day at a time as if it were their last. And I am here, bitching about life short-comings which is so much more petty compare to their struggles to maintain a life.

Even if I don’t know the answer till this very day, I guess each and everyone of us are being placed here for a purpose. A purpose we will never know till it actually happens. Like Simon Birch believes that God made him for a special, heroic purpose.

And this comes from a self-declared pagan.

Popular Posts