CROUCHING LALA & HIDDEN HOKKIEN CHAR

Okay.. I am running out of wits to name this makan post – this delightful stall is situated (further right near the big longkang) behind Tawakal Hospital, hence it was hidden away from sight.

I had been to this stall as long as I could remember. I had late night supper after my first time clubbing, at the Jump, when I was still underage. (Entry age 21, and I was only 18) with YY, her gorgeous brother, and fellow underage housemates. This place definitely brings back fond memories.


This stall is famous for its hokkien char, fried lala, fried fish paste, fried sotong, loh mee etc.


Like any other hokkien char, this hokkien char is stir fried with thick soy sauce, but it comes with extra chu yao char (fried pork fat) which gives the extra ommph to the dish. Ann and Yabba usually would compete with everyone else to eat all the chu yao char in it.


The lala comes in two flavors: Chilli and Sweet & Sour. I prefer the one fried with cili padi.


The fish paste costs a whopping RM4 per piece is crunchy and succulent… whereas the fried sotong, is springy.

As we never asked about how the dishes are being priced (except for the fish paste), it is estimated to cost RM30-RM35 for two. Quite pricey. But it was worth it.

To have this, try to be at the stall early by 7 pm as the crowd would swamp in by 8 pm, even on weekdays. So, you have to wait for 30 minutes just to get the aromatic hokkien char laden with chu yao char. It is quite cumbersome to get a parking spot, but you may double park, so you have to finish eating quickly. I would usually drive around till I could get a parking spot.

Over the dinner with Sekinchan Boy, we talked about relationships. It makes me wonder why men do not like females chasing after them, afterall, isn’t it better to have females chasing after the men to save the time and reduce headaches.

Self: What do you think about a woman chasing after a man?

SB: (Stuffing face with oily hokkien char) Hmmph… grunt grunt.. snortt… snorrtt…

*Forgive him. He’s a pig*

Self: Can you accept ah? Speak from the man’s point of view please.

SB: I don’t know.

Self: Obviously you don’t know lah coz you don’t have women coming to you!!

SB: Who says? Got lah!! But I just don’t give a damn.

Self: Would you accept or not?

SB: …. I think there is one girl….

Self: Eh! I am asking you whether can you accept or not? Not asking about your grandmother story.

SB: Sixth Floor.

Self: WTF???

SB: If the girl likes me, I would ask her to go to the sixth floor.

Self: What does sixth floor gotta do with this??

SB: Sixth sounds like sex. She has to prove it by giving me sex on sixth floor.

Self: Sick bastard!!!! @#$%^&*

SB: You may blog this. Ha ha ha.

*Grinned with his lips smeared with thick black soy sauce and his reputation (if there is any) jeopardized for life*

Comments

Backup comments said…
Sixth Floor? Sicko lar, that guy!
fishtail | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 1:45 am | #

Great blog with wonderful pics! More coming?
humblewarrior | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 4:10 am | #

I so like the way you describe food… hehe…
BTW, how many pieces of fish paste is on the plate?
Toxic | 09.22.05 – 5:04 am | #

The hokkien mee very oomph la… lots of chu yao char. I LOVE chu yao char eventhough it’s unhealthy.
Ann | 09.22.05 – 9:44 am | #
Backup comments said…
fishtail: Now you know who I deal with…

humblewarrior: Welcome to blogging! There were more posts previously on food.

toxic: I know! So, this post is made for you! Haha

Ann: Next time we will request for additional chu yao char and you can have it all.
Gina | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 11:28 am | #

Toxic: It’s actually one big piece being cut into several bite sizes. It is as big as your palm. One palm size is RM4/-.. sorry… need to clarify. Heh.
Gina | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 11:53 am | #

I like the pic of the hokkien mee. I think I will write the words “hokkien mee” in the conclusion for my Li Daifu story tomorrow! Heheheh!
viewtru | 09.22.05 – 12:05 pm | #
Backup comments said…
food looks yummy. you definately know how to promote the food you eat. but looks unhealthy la, all that pork fat and fried stuff. have to take care of complexion at this age since i am pretty vain.
victoria | 09.22.05 – 3:26 pm | #

what the??? damn hamsup…

the hokkien char looks extremely delicious, and somemore got extra chu yao char…eat alredi get heart attack die also die a happy man…
yuin | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 4:27 pm | #

Hey, I work near Tawakal, now I know why that place is jam in the evening.

sotong looks very very yummy!!! kena try nie…

p/s thanks for the info
VJ | 09.22.05 – 7:58 pm | #

omg.. *salivating*

my gf raved about this place but i havent been there yet. i want to go!
kimberlycun | Homepage | 09.22.05 – 9:49 pm | #

viewtru: If picture paints a thousand words.. imagine the taste! Ha ha! It’s slightly blurry coz SB cannot wait for me to snap pics before makan. Can;t wait for your hokkien mee post!!

victoria: It is not that I have it every damn day! Like the French drink a glass of wine everyday for health, I have my hokkien char every month. Heh.

Yuin: My sentiment.. precisely!

VJ: Ha ha!! Work near there pun dunno ah?? Aiseh. You missed out 10 years of good hokkien char. Heh!

Kim: Go! Go! Go! Try the loh mee as well.
Gina | Homepage | 09.23.05 – 1:33 am | #

dear Gina,

Oh, I love all the food pictures … I miss lala, the hokkien mee is so delicious! and of course, with lots of fried lard = great aroma … oh fish paste … yummy! The fried calamari looks wonderful too. The batter they used must be nice stuffs (you can tell from the texture).

And please allow me to say this, honestly, that your friend hoh, a lil’ bit ‘wat-dat’ (cantonese) right? my reaction to him -_-` (frown with cold sweat). eeuuuuwwwggghhh!
greenapple (previously as emma | Homepage | 09.23.05 – 9:14 pm | #

Yes, Emma! Lard! That was the word I was looking for! Thanks!

Yes, Emma! He is an asshole.
Gina | Homepage | 09.24.05 – 4:07 am | #

judging frm your recommendetion, this will be a place i reallly need to check out….if no good, u hv to belanja me some other place.
keatix | Homepage | 09.27.05 – 6:20 pm | #

Keatix: If it is good, then you have to belanja me some other place also based on your recommendation. Heh. Deal!!
Gina | Homepage | 09.28.05 – 1:23 am | #

Popular Posts