WANTING TO DIE

By Anne Sexton

Since you ask, most days I cannot remember.
I walk in my clothing, unmarked by that voyage.
Then the most unnameable lust returns.

Even then I have nothing against life.
I know well the grass blades you mention
the furniture you have placed under the sun.

But suicides have a special language.
Like carpenters they want to know which tools.
They never ask why build.

Twice I have so simply declared myself
have possessed the enemy, eaten the enemy,
have taken on his craft, his magic.

In this way, heavy and thoughtful,
warmer than oil or water,
I have rested, drooling at the mouth-hole.

I did not think of my body at needle point.
Even the cornea and the leftover urine were gone.
Suicides have already betrayed the body.

Still-born, they don't always die,
but dazzled, they can't forget a drug so sweet
that even children would look on and smile.

To thrust all that life under your tongue! --
that, all by itself, becomes a passion.
Death's a sad bone; bruised, you'd say,

and yet she waits for me, year and year,
to so delicately undo an old would,
to empty my breath from its bad prison.

Balanced there, suicides sometimes meet,
raging at the fruit, a pumped-up moon,
leaving the bread they mistook for a kiss,

leaving the page of a book carelessly open,
something unsaid, the phone off the hook
and the love, whatever it was, an infection.

I am devastated to announce that my depressed friend, had chose to commit suicide to end her life of her wretched soul yesterday morning. She hung herself in the bathroom using a skipping rope.

I was in Bangkok when my sister text me with the shocking bad news. I couldn't refrain myself and broke down in tears in front of the Grand Palace of Bangkok.

I hope she finally found peace with herself.

This blog will observe a moment of silence. I will not be updating for a few days. Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Backup comments said…
May she be in peace.
viewtru | 09.04.05 – 4:04 pm | #

Hi Gina, you may not not know me, but i read your blog at least once a week. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I didnt know your friend’s depression is so serious. Sigh. May she rest in peace……
Cumene | 09.04.05 – 5:48 pm | #

my dear

i am so sorry to hear tat and may she be in a happier place.

always here for you.

peace,
e
ed | 09.04.05 – 8:01 pm | #

I’m so sorry to hear this news. May your friend rest in peace.
Ann | 09.05.05 – 9:41 am | #

May your friend rest in peace.

Loosing a friend is never easy, take care dear. *hugs*
visithra | Homepage | 09.05.05 – 1:59 pm | #
Backup comments said…
I hope she’s in a better place now.
yuin | Homepage | 09.05.05 – 4:24 pm | #

*hugs*
irene | Homepage | 09.05.05 – 5:42 pm | #

oh god.. so sorry to hear about this..

am shocked..
ryuu | 09.05.05 – 5:48 pm | #

I’m so sorry.
fishtail | Homepage | 09.06.05 – 9:19 am | #

i am so sorry about your friend. may her soul rest in peace.
victoria | 09.07.05 – 2:07 pm | #
Backup comments said…
im sorry bout ur friend Gina. God bless her soul *Hugs*
izzy | 09.07.05 – 5:26 pm | #

my condolences. be strong
kimberlycun | Homepage | 09.07.05 – 6:25 pm | #

So sorry to hear about this. Keep your chin up. *hugs*
Kat | Homepage | 09.08.05 – 1:20 am | #

I am saddened to hear about your friend. May her spirit find the peace that she has been looking for all this while ….
Ee Reen | 09.08.05 – 11:49 am | #

i’m speechless, this is not the way it should end…

accept my condolence…
VJ | 09.08.05 – 3:55 pm | #

Not that I want to sound mean…

I feel sorry for her (and you) yet I feel angry.

I now wonder who is going to have to foot the mounting credit card bills and how on earth her parents are going to walk out of the house without their daugther’s suicide turning them into social shame.

*sighs*

I hope she really finds peace. Seriously. Because I know her family isn’t going to…for a long time – they will want answers and they too will try to seek consolation and peace about the nature of their daughter’s death.
Mei | Homepage | 09.09.05 – 9:20 am | #

Oh…add the entire family too – even though they are selfish and inconsiderate. Blood IS thicker than water.
Mei | Homepage | 09.09.05 – 9:26 am | #

Hello Mei,

I sense your anger, but look at the bigger picture, her “mental pain” was beyond her control, neither her family members nor friends could offer helping hands.

A person who entered the world of mental breakdown rarely recovers. It’s kinda hard to explain but if you watch the movie “A Beautiful Mind” that would explain the misery.

http://www.abeautifulmind.com/

my 2 cents
VJ | 09.09.05 – 11:53 am | #

Thank you all for your kind words. I hope her soul is free now.
Gina | Homepage | 09.10.05 – 7:28 pm | #

Oh, I’ve been there before. My ultimate prayers and hope is that she AND her family – no matter how estranged they are – will find the peace that they all seek.

Gina,

At least you can take heart that her soul is in a better place – free from the burdens of the human world…even though it is sad to see her go.
Mei | Homepage | 09.13.05 – 4:25 pm | #

Yes, Mei.. and her family too. I am worried for her dad now, and her younger sister.
Gina | Homepage | 09.13.05 – 11:45 pm | #

it’s too late now to say anything, hope we learnt from it instead.

my condolences……may she rest in peace….
keatix | Homepage | 09.14.05 – 1:36 pm | #

Popular Posts