SENTIMENTAL FOOL


I was driving home one night, and the song “Truly, Madly, Deeply” by Savage Garden was played on the stereo. It brought back so many memories.

Being born on a Valentine’s Day probably has its price to pay. Call me a sentimental fool but my mind automatically paints a picture whenever a song is playing on the radio – I would remember the occasion, the special someone or just a plain makan session with friends. I somehow have a photographic memory, which at times, fascinates my friends.

Truly, Madly, Deeply – Savage Garden
Winds of Change - Scorpion

It had been raining for all week. I was on my way to college, with a radio walkman glued to my ear. Either song would have me thinking of Leong Char Chai and the night when we went to the open air concert in Shah Alam – Big Mountain, a Reggae rave. We went there on a borrowed bike from my housemate.

We held hands for the first time – not romantically linked though. It was drizzling that night. We were just cheering the group and were drenched in the rain.

I remember vividly the pain in my ass for riding the bike for 45 minutes to Shah Alam all the way from Setapak!!

You’re in Love – Wilson Phillips

I missed the good old times in secondary school where the phone would ring at about 3 pm everyday and I would be on the phone, yakking for hours, much to the disapproval of my mother. It was the Monk. A classmate once commented, “Entah dia cakap dengan siapa? Tiap tiap hari aku nampak buntut dia tertonggeng, berborak dalam talipon”. (Malay: I wonder who he was speaking to. Everyday I see him bending over* and busy yakking on the phone). No one in school knew of our friendship.

*Ed: Don’t get any silly ideas!


He told me to get a cassette on Wilson Phillips and from that day onwards, I was hooked to these 3 pretty ladies’ sweet voice.

It is irony that every time this song is being played; it would make me think of him. In fact, any songs from Wilson Phillips remind me of him.

Push – Matchbox20

A fellow chatter from IRC, Tristan*, invited me to Kuching, Sarawak to see him perform in a gig together with his band mates. He even offered to buy me air tickets to make sure I would be there. And we haven’t even met!! This had caused his girlfriend, Sydney*, so much jealousy, which I find kinda silly as I haven’t even met him and of course, being my prudent self, I declined his generous offer politely.

We kept in touch for a few years till he went overseas. It was kind of ridiculous that his girlfriend accused me of stealing her boyfriend – when we were merely writing to each other and only talking about bands and stuffs. We were not romantically linked. In order not to cause so many problems, we stopped writing and went our separate ways. We haven’t even met till today.

* nicknames they used in MiRC.

All My Life – KC & Jo Jo
Luka – Suzanne Vega

Had dim sum with James and his stepsister, Joanne in Jalan Ipoh. “All My Life” was James’ favorite song at that point of time.

James once lanyak me habis habis for thinking Luka is a Malay song. “My name is Luka… I lived on the second floor”.

I am still waiting for his compilation CD of the songs of the millennium. *Yawn*

Dying Inside To Hold You – Timmy Thomas

I was going for tuition class when I was in Form 5. The whole of Petaling Street was blasted with this One Hit Wonder. It was my good friend, Lenny’s favorite song. We keep in touch till today. I bought her the album as her birthday present and parting gift after Form 5. Today, she is a proud mother of a baby boy and resides in Singapore with her husband.

Don’t Call Me Baby – Madison Avenue

Clubbing scene back in the early 2000. Also, I heard this song first time in Snow’s car and she could actually sing to it, which I find quite impressive. Whenever this song is being played, I would remember Snow and the lesbian party that I was invited to.

Also, I remember Galvin and Phoebe were still together, we were dancing to this song in the newly renovated Bravo (now defunct).

Freshmen – Verve Pipe
I Believe I Can Fly – R. Kelly
Palm (Chang Sing) – Victor and Michael (Mandarin)

Reminds of my salad days in TAR College.

One of my very quiet and mild mannered housemate, Yu Niq, always answered the house phone with a courteous “Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening” till my friends thought they dialed the wrong number and called an office instead. He always say, I made him very restless. I mean, with my endless babblings, nothing else. Ha ha.

My other housemate, nicknamed Harry (because he is very, very hairy – I heard he is balding now, at the age 27), like this R. Kelly’s song very much. Everyday without fail, he would play this song repetitively and sing along to it. I was a little bit annoyed (little bit only considering he is so leng chai) and sarcastically remarked, “Everyday you sing, but I never see you fly.”

When William Hung belted it out, I laughed my socks off, reminiscing the old times with Harry.

Before Victor and Michael hit stardom, they performed a gig in my college during an Architecture night, and we were all swooned by the melodious voice of the duo. We had the chance to talk to them personally. I remembered Victor asked me what course I am taking and advised me to study hard. I promised him I would buy their albums when they are out. Too bad they are no longer together. I think they are really good, together.

All songs by Nirvana

Rebellious days. Was exposed to grunge by YY’s gorgeous brother, Joe. Not only grunge – I was also exposed to illegal car racing and alcohol as well. When alcohol touched my lips for the first time, when I was 18, I knew I could drink like a fish. I stayed sober, albeit feeling deliriously happy, after having 7 shots of vodka lime/ rum coke in less than an hour.

She – Elvis Costelo

Watching Nottinghill in Cheras Leisure Mall with WY and U Chi. I was hungry when I went into the cinema without dinner. We bought popcorn. I ended up gobbling the popcorn and didn’t leave some for the girls. When we came out from the cinema, I had popcorns all over my white shirt because of my beastliness. Dang.. I will remember this forever.

Superstar – Jamelia

Current clubbing sessions with WY, Ms Lactose, Sekinchan Boy, the Dancing group and the BarFly boys. Just in case you think I am a beyond redemption party animal, I haven’t been clubbing since I started working full time at the end of 2000. I resumed clubbing only late last year and till now.

Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx

A gorgeous Fifth former, Ong Beng Hui, played this song on the piano when the choir group took a break from practice for Interact Club I.U. Day presentation. I was in Form 3 then. All girls would be swept off their feet, whenever he played that song. He was the cutest guy in school.

B
eautiful – Christina Aguilera

My sister in her darkest days. I just want to let her know, she is loved, no matter how she looked like. And she is the most important person in my life after my parents.

Why, Why, Tell Me Why – Anita Mui (Cantonese Song)

My cousin brother, Ricky. When he was four or five, he could imitate Anita Mui and sing this song with a hair brush, acting like a super Diva, exactly like her.

Superstar – S.H.E (Mandarin)

The first time Sasha started walking and dancing to this tune. Only this song would hook her to the TV and leave us alone for awhile.

All time favorites

More Than Love – Los Lonely Boys
Promise Ain’t Enough – Daryl Hall & John Oath
Every Breath You Take – The Police
Crazy For You - Madonna
Mouth – Merril Bainbridge
Morning Train – Sheana Easton
Always – Jon Bon Jovi
Summer ‘69 – Bryan Adams
Return to Innocence - Enigma
When A Man Loves A Woman – Michael Bolton
Fairy Tale (Tong Hua)– Michael (Mandarin Song)
Sweet Dreams – Eurhythmics
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? – Nirvana

Yes – I still live in the 90s.. geez.. this is not bad considering I am tone deaf.

Comments

Backup comments said…
yea yea… lament on…. you’ll just end up being a sentimental silly.

stop being a victim here, be a predator
thatbottle | 11.10.05 – 12:39 am | #

i live in the nineties too…
Anonymous | 11.10.05 – 5:26 am | #

Ahhh i have that associating a song with a memory too
visithra | Homepage | 11.10.05 – 10:05 am | #

i live in the 80′s n 90′s too …..

can we be a sentimental predator ah????

peace,
e
Ed | 11.10.05 – 11:12 am | #

hey, you have a great list out there. i’ll try to dig out all these songs sometimes later as I believe they all are songs with quality. thanks for sharing.
greenapple | 11.10.05 – 12:07 pm | #

timmy thomas..havent heard that one in a while. used to ask everyone when i was in primary school but no one could tell me the singer. the good old days…

n gina, you’ve got good taste in music
yuin | Homepage | 11.10.05 – 4:37 pm | #

thatbottle: Your bottle is making you talk this way? He he. Thanks! I am fine being a sentimental fool.

Anon: Great!

visithra: I guess everybody does.. somehow.

Ed: If you are a predator, you are no longer sentimental?

greenapple: Those were the days lah – with really good songs..

Yuin: I wish I apply the same theory of good taste towards men. :p
Gina | Homepage | 11.10.05 – 10:43 pm | #

If only Hitz fm or Mix fm could read your mind. Light&Easy is reading already, but haven’t read your whole musical mind yet. Maybe u should open a radio station – Gina fm at 99.9Mhz in Klang Valley
kampungkai | Homepage | 11.11.05 – 12:57 am | #

dont deny it, u r a romantique.

bon soir, & hello from lyon. damn, i hv turned this trip into q shopping escqpqde (this french keyboqrd is driving me crqzy)

u hv a mixture in tqste,not really well dfined; so; dont know u well; yet.
keatix | Homepage | 11.11.05 – 5:35 am | #

hey gina, i haven’t been here for a while. those songs are the best, beats the crap we get today anytime!

my baby takes the morning trainnnn… he works from 9-5 and then…
CC | 11.11.05 – 3:35 pm | #

Ahkai: When I was still in College, I listened to Hitz.fm. Now getting older, I listen to Mix.fm and Light & Easy. If I own a radio station, habis lah. Half of the time will e-mail James to ask – Eh? Who sing this song ah??

keatix!! I guess so.. I am a hapless romantic.

CC: Long time no see! Miss your comments!
Gina | Homepage | 11.11.05 – 9:21 pm | #

Omigod!!! It is the return of the 80′s. We all loved Timmy Thomas at one time for his one hit song “I was dying inside to hold you”. Not forgetting the NKOTB group. Hahah… Me and my gal friends were young then. hehe…
Poison | Homepage | 11.17.05 – 11:20 am | #

Popular Posts