CAN I HAVE YOUR KIDNEY?

A friend in need

When I was 11 years old, my uncle succumbed to kidney failure (both) and resorted to the dialysis machine every 3 days in a week. Whenever he comes home from the dialysis, he would lose his appetite and vomited… almost the entire day, feeling tired and sick.

He wanted to take drastic measure by getting a donated kidney and get on with his ordinary life. We scouted around for next-of-kin who would be willing and suitable to give a kidney to him.

My mother was the first to volunteer. She underwent a few tests to determine before she was found to be the perfect donor. Then, the entire family hesitated, even my uncle, because, should anything happened to my uncle, as he was in dire state, and passed on, my mom would be left with only one kidney the rest of her life.

Then, I told my mother to let uncle have my kidney instead, being reason that I was younger and healthier. You might think that I was young and probably still dumb, but I was nevertheless, compassionate. My mom was touched and speechless. She gently dismissed my expression of great love to my uncle at such a tender age. I bit my lips in order not to shed a tear to show how serious I was.

My uncle went to India for his kidney transplant. He died the next day due to heart failure, not organ rejection. We were all devastated as he was our one and only uncle, one and only brother of my mom’s family, one and only man left in the household. And he had left us for good. God bless his soul.

As I see it, I wonder how many of us would be willing to give a kidney or part of our body to a dear friend, a relative or a stranger even, in order to save life.

For me, I wouldn’t hesitate one bit, as I have signed up with the National Kidney Foundation to donate all my organs should I kicked the bucket suddenly.

I posted this blog out of anger actually. The management of my Company has gone mad and assigned all staff (not only the sales and marketing staff, even the clerks also kena) to recruit at least 10 new members for credit cards by the end of this month. Being someone popular and surrounded with different sets of friends, you might think, 10 is sub sub sui. (Cantonese: Easy job). But NOoooOOOOoooOO.

Excuses, excuses, excuses

Friend A: Sorry. I don’t want to have another card in my purse. Sorry dear.

(You can keep them in your house? DUH?)

Friend B: It is annoying to cancel the card when you don’t need it. More cards, more trouble.

(It is only a fax away. DUH)


Friend C: I will sign up if you climb Kinabalu with me.

(Are you going to pay for the expenses for the people to carry me up there as I don’t want to scale the slope? DUH. *they charge by the kilos – I was told)

Friend D: What freebies they provide? No freebies ah? Only 2 years’ waiver? What for?

(Nothing in this world comes free. DUH)

Period.

I didn’t even ask them to use the card. I didn’t even ask them to mail the application form themselves to the company. I didn’t even ask them for their kidneys. Just a simple, small, miniscule, tiny, inny, weenee, favor for me to meet my quota.

Well, can’t blame them. They have their own issues. They have their own principles. A friend has to respect each other’s decisions no matter how crappy they are.

But should any of these so called friends are in need of a kidney, I wouldn’t hesitate to give them mine.

Sorry lah. Was damn irrationally frustrated when I wrote this. Didn't know this post would end up like this.

Comments

Backup comments said…
which bank is it?
ryuu | 03.03.05 – 12:34 am | #

Aww.. I’d be more than happy to sign up for you. Hope it works out fine for you. *hugs*
Kat | Homepage | 03.03.05 – 12:48 am | #

What would happen to those that cán’t meet the quota? Chau Yau Yi?
Toxic | 03.03.05 – 4:10 am | #

hey gina i’m reading “laughable loves” by milan kundera now. thought u might like it.

but then it’s not a novel lah. it’s a collection of short stories.
ryuu | Homepage | 03.03.05 – 11:42 am | #
Backup comments said…
Ryuu: I will sms you.. hahaha. meaning, if you sign up, we will have to meet. I think I heard about that book, is it that good? I have Jhumpa Lahiri’s short stories too. Maybe we could swap books.

Kat: Yes, sweetie. I know you would. Unfortunately you are too far away.

Toxic: Long time no see! If Chau Yau Yi, I think my four friends would deeply regret their actions as they would have to feed me the rest of their lives. Hahahha. No lah. But want to end up in the President’s good book, a girl gotta do what a girl gotta do.
Gina | Homepage | 03.03.05 – 11:11 pm | #

ya, just sms. will be in kl this weekend. friday nite will be little havana though, so won’t be available on friday nite.

u’ll probably need last 3 cc statements rite? i don’it want to give j form lah… just give cc statements enough lah hor
ryuu | 03.04.05 – 2:31 am | #

very touching story. With the rate of ur clubbing.. anyone who got ur kidney won’t last 30 days I presume.. Pity the doctor who took all the effort of transplanting and pity the receiver who will die with extra suffering. ALCOHOLISM INTOXICATION : POSITIVE… *sigh
Tan Kien Boon | 03.04.05 – 3:17 am | #
Backup comments said…
tan, if you’re trying to advise her to drink less, IT’S NOT WORKING.

at least, not with the obvious sarcasm.
ryuu | Homepage | 03.04.05 – 10:07 am | #

Touching post. Sorry about the card quota thingy though
fishtail | Homepage | 03.04.05 – 5:13 pm | #

Ryuu: Hahahha! Thanks for standing up for me even if I don’t know you! See, even strangers are kinder (HEAR THAT, MONK??)

TKB: I only booze once in a month.. ok ok.. February has been a crazy month. I haven’t touch anything alcoholic since 1 March.

Fishtail: At times, I still miss my uncle very very much.
Gina | Homepage | 03.05.05 – 9:10 am | #

Shall we meet next weekend?? Need to pass you all the particulars for applying the CC. Hope you’ve reached your quota…

I’m so touched about you sacrificing your kidney at that point of time. It must be hard for you. I know that you told me the story of your uncle but until I read this blog I didn’t know that you wanted to donate your kidney to your uncle.

Tan has his point there though. You should really stop drinking…

Cheerssss!!!
WY | 03.06.05 – 6:31 pm | #

Shit! We took your forms without first asking for your kidneys!!!
james | Homepage | 03.07.05 – 12:13 pm | #

eh ppl, only 1 available lar
ryuu | Homepage | 03.07.05 – 1:17 pm | #

WY: Thanks for your endless support.

James: I would give it to you if you need it some not-so-fine day. Hahahha!

Ryuu: I am surprise that a lot of ppl own my compnay’s credit card!
Gina | Homepage | 03.07.05 – 11:04 pm | #

Popular Posts