TURKISH DELIGHT

I was on my way home from Party Girl’s house and I already thought of putting this as a topic of the post.

It was indeed a Turkish Delight.

Party Girl just got back from her vacation to the land of shisha and belly dancers, Istanbul, with her husband, Eric. I guess it’s their yearly honey moon. Despite being together for so many years, they are still very loving towards each other. I teased her that she didn’t have the heart to throw away the wilted flowers in her house given by her husband for Valentine’s Day this year.

One thing truly amazing about her is her ability to be a splendid host.

This evening, she cooked Turkish dinner for me to celebrate my belated birthday. Yeah. This is the fourth time I blow a candle this year.. so technically speaking, I am 80 years old already. The cake.. well, it was actually 8 jell-o-sweets, bought specially from Istanbul and a tea light acting as a candle.

After making a wish and blowing the candle, the four of us (plus Eric’s brother) tucked in the scrumptious dinner of stewed lamb with rice, mixed with raisins and cashew nuts.


I suggested that she should join some reality tv program like “Come Dine with Me”. She could have won “the host of the show” hands down. If not because due to lack of time – she had to run somewhere after dinner, she would have put up a private belly dancing for the guests. (Eric insisted that, the show is for the husband’s eyes only)

We chatted briefly to catch up with the latest gossips and making the fool outta ourselves laughing like mad women. This is what you get when you have two very talkative women talking with very, very full stomachs.

She dreaded the thought that no one cook for her dinner or asked her over for dinner. I am shy to say that I don’t have a loft of my own or else, I would be glad to ask her over. Or if she doesn’t mind eating with 9 other adults in my house and two little rascals, be my guest. The other thing is, I need to polish my cooking skills real fast (does maggi mee with egg counts as a dish?). For the time being, I would gladly ask her out for meals if only she could stop insisting to pay every time we go out together.

Sometimes it is quite an overwhelming experience to be friends with rich tai tais. They are always generous and will not bicker about petty matters. For a woman who has the world at her feet, I am glad she is still very much the same old girl when we first met, 20 years ago.

Here’s a toast to an everlasting friendship.. and I hope to see little Paris Mandy (supposedly daughter-in-the-making) soon!

Party Girl's scoop

Awesome Weekend
Mushroom Cake & Belly Dancers
Ms Marshmallow
Gunung Rice
The Party Host Who Got Drunk

Comments

Backup comments said…
themed dinners are so fun!!!
kimberlycun | Homepage | 03.04.06 – 9:27 am | #

its good to see u enjoying urself…
foodcrazee | Homepage | 03.04.06 – 12:27 pm | #

if i make enuf money..i will invite u over for dinner definately…k?
chitrakorn bangkok | 03.05.06 – 1:42 pm | #

kim: Tell me about it!

foodcrazee: Wherever there is food, I am always the happiest. Hah!

Chitrakorn Bangkok: I am not a fussy eater (look at my size!) – maggi mee with egg, coffee and endless DVDs – can be a perfect theme for me.
Gina | Homepage | 03.05.06 – 10:29 pm | #

Hello How are you? JUst want to ask you about where is Coffee UCCI?
Tks!
AMY | 03.06.06 – 1:47 am | #

Since you accepted Party Girl’s offer of a Turkish dinner, you should have asked her to compliment or throw in a belly dance as well.
peacelover | 03.06.06 – 11:41 am | #

Amy: I will e-mail you.

peacelover: Yeah lor. Should have. Hope she reads this comment! Haha!
Gina | Homepage | 03.07.06 – 7:51 pm | #

I did!! Next time … in nice costumes, I will make-up for the missing show …

Cheers!!
Ee Reen | 03.08.06 – 9:17 am | #

Istanbul is a brilliant city to visit.

I lurved the elma cay at the Green Corner near Ayasofiya. Elma cay at the shack near the Sultanahmet tram station is also nice, and comes in a big cup.
tigerjoe | Homepage | 03.08.06 – 10:21 am | #

Ee Reen: You had the costume on! Too bad you didn’t dance!

tigerjoe: Wah.. then I shouldn’t miss it! Will put it on top of my coming trips.
Gina | Homepage | 03.08.06 – 11:36 pm | #

Popular Posts