MAY YOU BE WELL AND HAPPY

When I first came to Kuala Lumpur, I was moving from school to school, not because I was ill-discipline, I have parents who couldn’t make up their minds. It was an ordeal. I always wanted to stay back in Taiping, my beloved hometown.

I was finally based in SM Selayang Bharu. Fresh from all-girl school, I was able to blend into this co-ed school without many hassles. I just couldn’t stand the bad conditions in the school; holes in black boards, gangs fighting all the time, teachers who couldn’t be bothered to come to class (as I was placed into the second last class, 2A4), no one spoke a word of English, etc

I decided to make the most of it, despite lack of guidance and resources. In no time, everyone knew my name – the new faceless girl (like I said – just the name) from a hopeless class, scoring the highest marks for English language and most subjects..

The first time I set my eyes on him was when I was in Form 2. He would always come to class (2A1) right on time – exactly at 1.05 pm, right on the dot when the school bell rings. It was as if he activated the school bell by stepping into the school compound.

The Malay girls in my class would tell me – “Itu dia- si panjang!” (There – the tallest guy in school). He walked funny. Slouching and in quick staccato steps.

We were in the same Chinese language class (POL- People’s Own Language) conducted on weekends. I brought my sister along with me on the first day – see, there was no security or restriction in this school. When the teacher finished introducing herself, she invited questions from the class. Bad move. He asked too many questions – it was as if the entire class consists of only him and the teacher.

My sis was annoyed. “Who is that?? Why he ask so many questions?? Why can’t he shut up??” I was actually glad as I didn’t have to pay attention in class. I won’t be able to follow anyway! That was my first and last day in that class.

When the term for form 3 started, I was so worried to be separated from my hokkien-speaking friends. I don’t speak a word of Cantonese. My classmates encouraged me to go to Form 3A1, the cream of the school. I was skeptical. What if my name was not listed in the list? It would be ridiculous. Somehow or another, I was persuaded and took a fumble step into Form 3A1 classroom. The girls welcomed me with open arms. There were only 7 Chinese in the class, out of the class of about 40.

First day in Form 3 proved to be nerve wrecking. I kept vigil for my name to be called out. Having a “C” as my surname didn’t help either. I didn’t know why my name was listed at the end of the page. Probably last minute decision.

When my name was called, I heaved a sigh of relief and went about trying to yak rustily in Cantonese and Mandarin all at the same time.

Skinny Girl (My partner in class): Ni you wei sen ken mah? (Mandarin: Do you have sanitary pads?)

Self: Huh? *blinking blur blur*

Skinny Girl: Wai Sang Kan ah? (Cantonese: Sanitary pad)

Self: Huh?

Skinny Girl: Aiyo…. Tuala wanita ah! (Malay: Sanitary pad)

*Embarrassed*

I decided to stay out from this conversation to avoid looking stupid. I could feel that he was watching from the front of the class. When I looked his way, he looked away. Shy?

A classmate from the other corner of the class invited me to join them. I walked towards them, didn’t realize that my pinafore was stuck into the chair for sitting too long. It caused a loud screeching sound when I dragged the chair with my skirt stuck on it. He laughed out loud and then trying to cover his snickering with both his hands. I smiled embarrassingly. The ice was broken.

Today, 14 years later, we are still friends. I don’t have to drag a chair with my skirt stuck on it to get his attention. I just need to blog every embarrassing thing about him here. Hahaha. Kidding.

Today is his birthday.

I dedicate this 100th post in my blog to one of the most important man in my life, that is, after my dad, my brother, James, Tom Cruise, Hugh Grant, Ralph Fiennes, Brad Pitt, etc. ok ok.. probably his degree of importance is immediately after Tom Cruise. (Hugh Grant’s score on his demerit card deteriorated after Divine intervention).

Happy Birthday, MONK! May you always be well and happy.


The Monk Mugshot

Comments

Backup comments said…
Well, I still haven’t met him yet. So when are you gonna introduce him to me? :D
Kat | Homepage | 08.28.04 – 9:24 am | #

If he wants to see you, that is. He is very selective. Monks are generally shy people. Haha.
Gina | Homepage | 08.28.04 – 12:08 pm | #

Happy Birthday, Monk!!
Ann | 08.28.04 – 10:48 pm | #

I would like to appreciate Gina for her good effort. Thanks Ann, thanks everyone. Though I can not recall some of the details, the story line is still interesting. Well, Kat, we call meet one day, just be prepared I may scare you off. Just look the gang around me, they are all demented as said. hehehe
The Monk | 08.29.04 – 7:50 pm | #

Kat, he’s a ‘nice’ person to know…heard a lot about him from Gina…sure kena ‘tiau’ later…ahahhah. Trust me, sometimes The Monk can be so shy to the extent he won’t even notice you…(own experience) :-|
WY | 09.03.04 – 2:59 pm | #

Popular Posts