SHIOK


Majestic Merlion

On the way to Singapore, at Yong Peng, the bus stopped for the passengers to take a leak..

WY: Do you think it is safe to keep our bags in the bus?

Self: Well, you can carry them down if you want to. We don’t have valuables in here... unless they want to steal some oversized panties.

Last year, we went for a cruise to Phuket.

Singapore – generally speaking, there aren't many places of interest to see or great food to stimulate our taste buds. Most of my friends were puzzled why I go to Singapore for a mini break.

Friends: Why Singapore?

Me, the self confessed bitch: Lim peh shiok (Hokkien: “My father” likes. Meaning, it is none of your business).

Initially, we planned to go to Bali. Looking at the tsunami incident, and other following calamities around the world, after the horrific disaster, both our parents, hesitate to let us venture too far. Being the filial Asian daughters, we obeyed our parents and planned a short trip – not too far away from Malaysia.

As usual, WY is all for a shopping spree. I am getting used to just tag along, and engaged in my new hobby – photo taking ala paparazzi style. I thank God for the invention of the digital cameras. In most of our trips together, I am always the photographer.

We were there to see WY’s sister, WM and some friends we met in our Redang trip in 2002, Dimples and Seng. Stayed over at WM’s house.

Day 1


Bugis Junction


Red for Chinese New Year


Chinatown

The first day there was uneventful – some boring shopping in Bugis and being packed like sardines in a can in Chinatown. Singaporeans are in their frenzy shopping mode for the Chinese New Year – not a good time to visit Chinatown, if you want to indulge in some serious shopping.

WY exclaimed at the maddening crowd at the MRT, “This is worse than Masjid Jamek!”


Dimples doing Salsa

We went to see another old friend, Dimples, who was there to feed her soul. She is there to seek a breakthrough in her spiritual life.

She took us to Latino Club in Amara Hotel, where strangers just salsa the night away. Cool joint. Free booze for the ladies on a Friday night. Super duper cool.

Some kind of religious breakthrough huh? Kidding.

Day 2

I am there to see a buddy, Seng on his birthday. My kindred spirit. Thank goodness, he came to break the spell of the endless shopping the last 24 hours. WY seemed to be enjoying her shopping very much.

I behave just like men – only shop when there is a need and I don’t try on shoes or clothes without intention of buying them. And I don’t understand why some women always do that. No offence. Some people are not born to shop and I am one of them.


Golden View


Cotton Candy Blue Sky

Seng and I took long strolls, from Queenstown to City Hall, to Esplanades, Raffles City, City Link, etc and took some pictures, catching up with the stories of our lives, debating our ideals all over again, etc before joining the Redang gang at Clarke Quay.


Moonlight at Suntec

I quote Seng:

Sometimes, in life, we just have to slow down and walk instead of taking the MRT or cabs. Along the way, we would meet people, see interesting places or unusual event unfolding in front of our very eyes. If we rush all the time, we wouldn’t have the pleasure of encountering these moments. Savour every moment.

.. besides, you need the exercise. You seemed to put on some weight.

@#$%^&*


Brewerkz

It was wonderful to see the Redang gang again, chatting over dinner and 13 jugs of beer at Brewerz, Clarke Quay.

Broke my personal record for beers. I didn’t take beer since the day I puked like a fountain in my first company trip, which eventually led to my official nickname – the Fountain.

I took 7 glasses of beer – just to spite the guys to drink more. Damn. I wonder how many gym sessions will it take to burn the calories off.

Day 3


Point of View

Some shopping again, and meeting up with Dimples and Seng before we hit back to KL. Took a stroll again at the Esplanades and visited the Merlion.

Summary:

It was a good trip. WM has been a tremendously fabulous host. She made us Teow Chew breakfast!

The food in Singapore is improving and the chillis seemed to be genetically re-engineered coz they taste extra hot compared to the cili padi in Malaysia. A cili padi queen like me also cannot bear its spiciness.

We can’t get public toilets as clean as the ones in Singapore anywhere in Malaysia, and best of all, they come free of charge.

There are less cars in Singapore. Air is less polluted. The drivers are very courteous and they stopped for pedestrians on the zebra crossings.

Sigh. I wonder if I should find a job there.

Comments

Backup comments said…
I remember my first trip to Singapore. I was impressed with the fact that they have tissues in the public loos!
mdmafia | Homepage | 01.24.05 – 5:58 pm | #

Yeah! I forgot to mention THAT in my post! Thanks, madam!
Gina | Homepage | 01.24.05 – 6:02 pm | #

ooo.. somebody went to union square
ryuu | 01.24.05 – 9:45 pm | #

i was in SG 2 weeks ago, do u know that city hall mrt station comes with upper and lower platform. took me about 10 mins to figure it out …lol, it was fun…

by the way, your are good with your digital camera, pics looks great too…
VJ | 01.24.05 – 9:50 pm | #

Interesting did you get to see the Happy Toilet Awards? =D

Have not been to S’pore in donkey years…looks purty. Glad you had a good time.

Oh, you trying to get a hang with photography too huh?
vyne | Homepage | 01.24.05 – 11:51 pm | #
Backup comments said…
After so many months of missing your blog, i’ve finally managed to pen down a few line today, past my bed time.

Glad that you enjoyed your trip depsite my relentless shopping frenzy. Have to cut down on my shopping habit. Thanks for bearing with me. At least a Nike for you… ) Missed our friends and relatives there… Gina, it’s always a pleasure travelling with you….

Seng, if you are reading this, thanks for obliging my humble request to visit the Merlion at the Esplanade.

I’ve never missed Singapore so much after this trip…. it’s such a peaceful country…. neat and tidy…
WY | 01.25.05 – 1:24 am | #

Sounds like a dream break…. shopping & catching up wif friends…
Toxic | 01.25.05 – 2:25 am | #

Ah? Union Square? Frankly speaking, whenever I go somewhere, I don’t bother to remember names of the places. Bad Habit!

Yes, it was indeed a good break with friends in such a clean place.

I am considering taking up photography seriously.

Yes, it is nice to travel with a regular traveling companion. We get used to each other’s bad habits like, snoring etc.

I am on my way to Melaka now.
Gina | Homepage | 01.25.05 – 8:28 am | #

I miss Singapore after reading this posting.
Ann | 01.25.05 – 1:17 pm | #

Popular Posts