AND EVERYBODY SAYS "OMEN!!"


The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail
and fire mixed with blood,
and it was hurled down upon the earth.
A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up,
and all the green grass was burned up.
Revelations 8:7

Friends who know me best, knew that I am a chicken shit when it comes to horror movies. I cannot watch horror movie, without suffering serious aftermath of sleepless nights. Yes- night(S).

I remember once I watched "Alien" when I was about 10 years old.. and I couldn't sleep for a week. When I watched "The Eye" - I couldn't sleep for two weeks.

Worse, the cowardice in me do not only contain within movies. When I came back from Phnom Penh, after visiting the Toul Sleng Museum, I cannot sleep well for 3 weeks, and I needed someone to sleep with me (My sister lah!! Sigh!! I sleep alone most of the time - and no, this is not an open invitation.. geez...). Yeah - it's bad.

Today, is the Taboo Day for some people and good day for some. The Hokkiens believe this is a good day to get married, to give birth because, 666 stands for good luck, triple luck.

I chose this special day to watch the remake of the 1976 Omen 666. Too bad the movie didn't have a 6.06 pm slot. It would be even more cool!I was prepared to have sleepless nights for at least a week. The scenes from the 1976 movie still remained vivid in my mind. You know, the pictures with unusual ray of light above those who are destined to die, the priest who got stabbed by a falling bar of steel, the grave with a jackal's carcass, the mother falling down from the balcony, etc. I think I watched this movie about 20 years ago.

I was all geared up to watch this horror movie. With two hands on my cheek - prepare to close my eyes in the event of some.. uhm... "unfavorable" scenes.

I was disappointed. Not disappointed that I won't be able to sleep. I am disappointed because I didn't even at least gotten the usual creeps after a horror movie. Okay.. okay.. I admit I closed my eyes in one scene in the bathroom where Julia Stiles wore the red bath robe - that's it.

In short, this was indeed a REMAKE of the 1976 OMEN, but happened in the present, and probably with prettier actors and actresses and more real make up and special effects.

It did give me the urges of going to church though, because of the prophecies in the Bible came true - as in Revelations 8: 7. When I was still a kid, I was very afraid of the Book of Revelations which state the end of mankind. But... that is another story altogether.

Comments

Backup comments said…
eh, if I haven’t watch the ori version, is this one worth the watch?
yuin | Homepage | 06.07.06 – 10:43 am | #

If I’v watched the original, I should save my money and watch another movie?
Annie Wong | 06.07.06 – 11:03 am | #

Yuin: Then you should watch.

Annie: Think buy VCD better for this movie.
Gina | Homepage | 06.07.06 – 9:37 pm | #

whats the big deal anyway about 06.06.06? i mean 06.06.666 got to be way much scarier :P
Dreams | Homepage | 06.08.06 – 12:02 am | #

Was Julia Stiles red bathrobe that ugly?
stevo | Homepage | 06.08.06 – 4:05 am | #

Dreams: Saja lah. I syok!

Stevo: No no… I cannot tell everything mah.. must leave some to you fellas who haven’t watch it. But predictable lah. Everyone screaming away at this scene. Oh yeah.. this Saturday night you free? *LOL*
Gina | 06.08.06 – 11:16 am | #

This Sat nite can’t. Celebrating Jeff, Sue n Dad’s B’days. Why ah? Who wants to watch Omen?
stevo | Homepage | 06.09.06 – 1:27 am | #

what is there to omen or not to omen about?? as they say, those who believe in Him will hv eternal life wat…apa takut??? believe in Him ….lor!
tak kasi kani zero | 06.09.06 – 3:55 pm | #

actually i share many sentiments with you. the one you wrote about Faith, oh, I couldn’t agree with you more … and very similar to you, I am a big coward when it comes to horror movies … my bottom line is, as long as i know i am gonna be afraid, i am not gonna spend money to scare myself as the world is scarry enough as it is…. hence i don’t play extra-qi-kek (cantonese) rides in themepark, i don’t do anything that would creep me out.

how i like you because of these similarities … =)
greenapple | Homepage | 06.09.06 – 10:44 pm | #

Stevo: Aiyah. Tot wanna date you to salsa.

tak kasi: Wah.. pagan preaching? Hahha!!

greenapple: I don’t usually “loh lei jin” but this time round, I am going just for the heck of it.
Gina | Homepage | 06.10.06 – 12:52 am | #

Salsa? The dance or the sauce?
stevo | Homepage | 06.10.06 – 4:39 am | #

Stevo: I would prefer the sauce, but it is the dance. Tonight. Salsa Havana. Get my number from your brothers. LOL!
Gina | Homepage | 06.10.06 – 12:12 pm | #

but tonite’s me bro and sis and dad’s bday lar..
stevo | Homepage | 06.10.06 – 2:32 pm | #

Popular Posts