COLOR MURDER

The Door

The Balcony


The Book Shelves


Deadly Concoction

These were the crime scenes earlier yesterday in my room. Blood splattered everywhere from the book shelves, to the door, to the balcony..etc.

This is what happened when you tried to save some dough by doing hair coloring on your own.

Hair colorant is a dangerous thing. We have heard so much from a lot of people:-

“You should only color your hair maximum twice a year and no more than that. It’s cancerous.”

“Hair colorant is toxic.”

“You shouldn’t eat/drink while having colorant on your hair.”

“Don’t stand next to food if you are coloring your hair”

And after this splattering incident,

“Never ever attempt coloring your hair without goggles.”

My colleague complained that I looked dull in my raven black hair and suggested that I should color it to make my face look livelier.

Since my hair stylist went missing in action – he had commercially set up his own hair salon in Gombak and no more doing house calls for free, I decided to color my hair myself.

I was advised by WY to put an egg yolk in the hair colorant to reduce the damage of the colorant on my hair. She has been coloring her hair herself for years.

I mixed the egg in the container with the cream developer, and the hair color. Shook it for 30 seconds as prescribed. The bottle felt somewhat hot.

“Something is not right!”, I thought to myself.

The moment I snipped the tip of the bottle cap, it spurted like a volcano vomiting its lava – the “lava” was all over the wall, the floor, my books, the door, etc and in less than 5 seconds, the damage was substantial. I quickly applied pressure on the hole with my thumb and ran frantically to the bathroom.

In the sink, the ingredient kept on gurgling with emission of a foul smelling gas. Ammonia free my foot.

I was panicky for a moment.

Ironically, since my hands were filled with the colorant, I automatically applied them on my hair. DUH! I didn’t even think if the mixing would be poisonous. Heck. All hair colorant are poisonous!

I thanked God*I didn’t exactly position the tip of the mixer at my eyes while cutting it.. or else, I would end up in the hospital instead of blogging about this.

Well, there is price to pay if you flunk your A levels’chemistry.

So, any chemist out there could explain this phenomenon?

It is an egg yolk mixed with Revlon Color Silk. The ingredients are just far toooooooo long to be stated here.

Next time, if I ever want to color my hair, I swear I would leave it to the professionals.

* That is why I went to church later yesterday with Ed. Also.. I misplaced my glasses and resorted to driving to church in the night with my sun glasses on. Could this get any worse?

Comments

Backup comments said…
hahaha omigod did it really explode?!
Jayelle | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 1:27 am | #

try henna powder, u could get them at shops selling indian goodies. mix with tea into paste then apply to hair. good for hair and absolutely no ammonia. i think they only have black and red though.
kimberlycun | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 2:05 am | #

Is this the same brand that we see on TV with the song, “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hair”?
viewtru | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 1:10 pm | #

Aichoh! What a disaster. Did your mum nag you for the mess?
Ann | 06.27.05 – 2:23 pm | #
Backup comments said…
Don’t know what part the egg has to play in the explosion but they always advise you to finish using the product before you throw away or else it might explode.
Anon | 06.27.05 – 2:52 pm | #

my goodness, what a disaster. i dont think you should add any other ingredient to your hair dye and please go to a professional hairstylist. if you are interested, i can recommend you mine. the salon is run by two hokkien sister at 3 1/2 mile jalan ipoh. i have recommended ann there but for iron-perming. recently, i recommended a girlfriend to highlight her hair red and she looks great now.
victoria | 06.27.05 – 3:39 pm | #

Phwoar! You had a real-life CSI scene happening there :P

If the label says ammonia-free, it most probably means that Revlon used another alkaline as a substitute for the ammonia. They would have had to do that, as a catalyst is required for the new colour to bond to your hair.

The thingy probably “exploded” due to a combination of packaging pressure and heat. Most hair colorants are combustible, with a flash point of around 80C or thereabouts. Depending on how the product was stored at the shop or brought back home, the internal pressure could have been building up for quite a while.

You prolly need to have the container ready and point the squirty end in the next time. Non-metallic containers recommended.

cheers
tiger | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 4:16 pm | #
Backup comments said…
On second thought, the egg prolly reacted to the chemicals used in the colorant; resulting in a mild combustion effect being observed.

Just a theory :P
tiger | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 4:18 pm | #

damn the first few pictures look like murder scene…like someone kena hack to death by loan shark..
yuin | 06.27.05 – 4:26 pm | #

Important qs – did ur self experiment of wiping hands on hair work? – how does it look?
visithra | Homepage | 06.27.05 – 5:29 pm | #

Yowza… lethal chemistry lab session you have there… whoa…
cmos | Homepage | 06.28.05 – 7:18 pm | #

probably it’s expired, check the lable!!!

try one more time, let us know the result
VJ | 06.28.05 – 9:53 pm | #
Backup comments said…
Jayelle: It did explode!! I was shocked.

Kim: Oh yes. I better take this professional advice from a hot babe!

viewtru: That retarded advertisement is from Gatsby. No offence if you like the ad. :p

Ann: It was an accident lah. I didn’t do it on purpose!!

Anon: Yes, I finished everything and still no color!

Victoria: Probably I have to get the number from you to make an appointment. Thanks.

Tiger: I guess so.. must be something from the damn egg yolk.

Yuin: That was exactly in my mind when I saw when this happened. I was shocked myself.

visithra: Not a shade of red!! @#$%^&*
Gina | Homepage | 06.28.05 – 10:18 pm | #

cmos: You shud try this yourself. Just add an egg yolk. Hehe.

VJ: Oh yeah.. damn.. I already discarded the box.
Gina | Homepage | 06.28.05 – 10:19 pm | #

Popular Posts